We updated the design of this site on December 18, 2017. Learn more.
ClinicalTrials.gov
ClinicalTrials.gov Menu

Head Position Angles in Children

The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00532636
Recruitment Status : Terminated (Recruitment completed)
First Posted : September 20, 2007
Last Update Posted : March 26, 2009
Sponsor:
Information provided by:

Study Description
Brief Summary:
Inexperienced rescuers may encounter severe problems in an unconscious patient in opening and maintaining an upper airway patent. Designing a ventilating device that could indicate how to open an upper airway correctly may be beneficial. The head of children is randomly placed in different head positions by one investigator. A ventilating mask is then pressed gently on the child's face followed by measurement of the head position angles and pulmonary function. This information could be utilised to optimise assisted ventilation of an unprotected upper airway in children.

Condition or disease Intervention/treatment
Healthy Procedure: Ventilation

Detailed Description:

Ventilation during basic life support improves survival in cardiac arrest patients significantly. Unfortunately, this is in contrast to the willingness of potential rescuers to perform mouth-to-mouth ventilation. For example, although healthcare professionals would perform mouth-to-mouth ventilation on a 4-year old drowned child in >90% of cases, this likelihood would decrease to ~10% in the case of a young male unconscious patient in a San Francisco public bus. Possibly, lay rescuers would perform assisted ventilation more often if a simple ventilation device were available. However, both the willingness to perform assisted ventilation plus the ability to open and to maintain the airway patent are necessary to ensure efficient ventilation in an unconscious patient with an unprotected upper airway.

Since retention of skills after basic life support classes are notoriously low, a resuscitation tool should incorporate self-explanatory features to improve applicability, and to provide built-in safety. Thus, an option could be to ensure an open airway by the use of a built-in indicator within a ventilating device to confirm correct head extension. One possible approach may be to determine head positions that make an open airway likely, and then extrapolate these angles to a scale that could be integrated into a ventilating device; however, safe head extension needs to be determined first to prevent harm. The purpose of this study is to determine head position angles reflecting neutral position and maximal extension in unconscious supine children in a first step to design a ventilating device to optimise ventilation of an unprotected upper airway.


Study Design

Study Type : Interventional  (Clinical Trial)
Actual Enrollment : 78 participants
Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
Masking: Single (Participant)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
Official Title: Head Position Angles in Children to Open the Upper Airway
Study Start Date : January 2006
Study Completion Date : December 2006
Arms and Interventions

Arm Intervention/treatment
Active Comparator: 1
Children 1-5 years of age
Procedure: Ventilation
Mask ventilation in neutral and head extension position
Procedure: Ventilation
Mask ventilation in neutral and head extension position
Active Comparator: 2
Children 6-10 years of age
Procedure: Ventilation
Mask ventilation in neutral and head extension position


Outcome Measures

Eligibility Criteria

Information from the National Library of Medicine

Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.


Ages Eligible for Study:   1 Year to 10 Years   (Child)
Sexes Eligible for Study:   All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:   Yes
Criteria

Inclusion Criteria:

  • ASA I and II children, 1-10 years of age

Exclusion Criteria:

  • Facial deformity
  • Pathological airway or cervical spine
  • BMI>35
  • History of gastric reflux
Contacts and Locations

Information from the National Library of Medicine

To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.

Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00532636


Locations
Austria
Medical University Innsbruck
Innsbruck, Austria, 6020
Sponsors and Collaborators
Medical University Innsbruck
Investigators
Study Chair: Volker Wenzel, Prof., MD, MSc Dept. of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine
More Information

Publications automatically indexed to this study by ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier (NCT Number):
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00532636     History of Changes
Other Study ID Numbers: AN2439
First Posted: September 20, 2007    Key Record Dates
Last Update Posted: March 26, 2009
Last Verified: March 2009

Keywords provided by Medical University Innsbruck:
Airway
Airway obstruction
Mouth-to-mask resuscitation
Respiration artificial
Ventilation
Ventilation of an unprotected airway
Safety and efficiency of mask ventilation
Avoidance of stomach inflation