Measuring Herpes Zoster and PHN Associated Burden of Illness and Health Care Utilization Costs in Thailand
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00526864|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 10, 2007
Last Update Posted : September 23, 2015
Total 7 institutions will be recruited i.e. Clinical Infectious Disease Research Unit Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine Mahidol University,Bamrasnaradura Infectious Disease Institute
,Pramonkutklao Hospital,Rajavithi Hospital,NationalCancerInstitute,Institute of Dermatology,Raj Pracha Samasai Institute
- Measure the burden of illness due to herpes zoster (Zoster) and post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) (severity and duration);
- Assess the quality of life (QoL) and quality adjusted life years (QALY) lost due to Zoster and PHN;
- Describe health care resource utilization associated with Zoster and PHN;
- Describe the direct and indirect costs per case of Zoster and PHN
|Condition or disease|
This will be a prospective cohort study of patients presenting with Zoster rash in 7 specialized institutions in Thailand.
Subjects will be entered in the cohort at the time of presentation with Zoster rash. After the baseline assessment (day 0) that will be conducted at the investigator's office there will be 4 assessments (prospective part of the study) that will be conducted at day 7, month 1, month 3 and month 6.
We expect that there will be approximately 150 patients included in the study cohort. Cohort assembly will take place between April 2007 and October 2007.
The study will be conducted in 3 groups
Eligible patients for each group will include
- Group A: Both male and female patients ≥ 50 years of age with Zoster rash.
- Group B: Both HIV infected male and female patients ≥ 20 years of age with Zoster rash.
- Group C: Both Oncology male and female patients ≥ 20 years of age who on chemotherapy with Zoster rash.
Key exclusion criteria includes patient who refuses to sign informed consent.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||180 participants|
|Official Title:||Measuring Herpes Zoster and Post-Herpetic Neuralgia Associated Burden of Illness and Health Care Utilization and Costs in Thailand|
|Study Start Date :||May 2007|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||July 2008|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||July 2008|
|HIV infected patients|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00526864
|Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University|
|Bangkok, Thailand, 10400|
|Principal Investigator:||Punnee Pitisuttithum, Professor||Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine|