Recovery Group Pilot
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00522613|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 30, 2007
Last Update Posted : February 4, 2009
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Bipolar Disorder Schizophrenia Schizoaffective Disorder||Behavioral: Recovery Group Project|
Recent research suggests that many individuals with serious mental illnesses may recover from these conditions and become fully integrated into their communities. Although improved medications may be most responsible for these developments, self-help groups, social support, and empowerment have been identified as important facilitators of the recovery process. Recovery-oriented, consumer-led approaches are gaining in popularity, but few of these interventions have been evaluated scientifically.
This pilot study proposes to develop and evaluate a recovery-oriented program that centers on the use of a self-help workbook. Results from the study will indicate how well the workbook and the overall program were received by individuals with serious mental illness, and whether participating in the program appeared to improve recovery and functioning.
- To develop group-facilitator materials to complement the self-help workbook.
- To conduct a randomized trial of the intervention with kaiser Permanente Northwest (KPNW) members with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder, using a delayed control group design and 6- and 12-month post-intervention follow-up.
- To assess participant attendance and satisfaction with the group sessions;
- To assess whether participating in the group intervention was associated with improvements in short-term recovery and functioning.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||50 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Recovery Group Pilot|
|Study Start Date :||July 2005|
|Primary Completion Date :||December 2006|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2006|
Behavioral: Recovery Group Project
- To develop group-facilitator materials to complement the self-help workbook [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
- To conduct a randomized trial of the intervention with KPNW members [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
- To assess participant attendance and satisfaction with the group sessions [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
- To assess whether participating in the group intervention was associated with improvements in short-term recovery and functioning [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00522613
|United States, Oregon|
|Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research|
|Portland, Oregon, United States, 97227|
|Principal Investigator:||Carla A. Green, PhD, MPH||Kaiser Permanente|