Curbing Tobacco Use in Suburban and Rural Schools
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00513097|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 8, 2007
Last Update Posted : November 6, 2017
Primary, secondary, and tertiary specific aims are to answer the following questions about interactive, Internet-based tobacco control intervention directed towards 10th-graders:
- Smoking Prevention (primary): Does the intervention result in a lower incidence of smoking initiation compared to standard care?
- Smoking Cessation (primary): Does the intervention result in higher rates of smoking cessation compared to standard care?
- Reduction of Spit Tobacco Use (secondary): Does the intervention have an impact on spit tobacco use compared to standard care?
- Stages of Change (tertiary): Does the intervention have an impact on progression through the stages of smoking and spit tobacco acquisition and cessation compared to standard care?
- Mediating Variables (tertiary): How are mediating variables associated with tobacco-use onset and cessation?
- Testing Predictors: Investigate established and recently elucidated predictors of susceptibility to smoking at baseline and 12-month follow-up.
- Develop/Validate Spit Tobacco Measures: Investigate predictors of susceptibility of spit tobacco use at baseline and 12-month follow-up
- Testing Measures Across Race/Ethnicity: Explore predictors of susceptibility to smoking at baseline and 12-month follow-up to determine whether predictors differ among White, African-American, and Hispanic students.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Tobacco Use Cessation||Behavioral: Smoking Prevention Program Behavioral: Focus Group Behavioral: Survey||Phase 1|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||1289 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Curbing Tobacco Use in Suburban and Rural Schools|
|Actual Study Start Date :||July 25, 2006|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||October 18, 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 18, 2017|
|Experimental: Smoking Prevention & Cessation Program||
Behavioral: Smoking Prevention Program
Interactive internet, computer-based activities (like games) with questions about thoughts on smoking and tobacco.
Behavioral: Focus Group
A total of 24 focus groups will be held relating to the topics of smoking prevention and cessation.
On-line evaluations and questionnaires
- Reductions in smoking initiation [ Time Frame: Baseline, 6-month, 12-month, and 18-month ]
- Smoking cessation [ Time Frame: Baseline, 6-month, 12-month, and 18-month ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00513097
|United States, Texas|
|University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Houston, Texas, United States, 77030|
|Principal Investigator:||Alex Prokhorov, MD, PhD||M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|