Investigating if Interferon-Beta Can be Used in Patients With MS After They Have Developed Neutralizing Antibodies (RECOVER)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00492466|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 27, 2007
Last Update Posted : January 30, 2008
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis||Drug: Interferon-beta-1a Drug: methylprednisolone||Phase 4|
This is a multi-center, open Label, non-comparative Phase IV trial. Eligible Patients will receive treatment with Interferon-beta-1a (AVONEX) 30mcg I.M. once weekly for up to 12 months.
In the wash-out period prior to commencing treatment with AVONEX, patients will receive treatment with intermittent Methylprednisolone 500 mg PO Daily for three consecutive days at monthly intervals.
The patients will be examined clinically and laboratory tests will be performed at screening (month -1) and after 3, 9, and 15 months.
Neutralizing antibody(NAb)titres and Binding antibody(BAb)titres as well as MxA protein levels will be evaluated at screening/baseline (month -1/0) and after 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||14 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Multicentre, Open Label, Non-Comparative Trial Investigating the Recovering of INF-Beta Efficacy in Breakthrough Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Patients With Neutralizing Interferon-Beta Antibodies|
|Study Start Date :||March 2003|
|Primary Completion Date :||August 2006|
|Study Completion Date :||August 2006|
dosage and frequency as per label
Other Name: AvonexDrug: methylprednisolone
dosage and frequency as per Biogen Idec protocol
- Reduction in the proportion of patients being neutralizing antibody (NAb) positive (titre>20) [ Time Frame: Month -1 and after 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months ]
- Change in MxA protein values [ Time Frame: Month -1 and after 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months ]
- Change in binding antibody (Bab) tires [ Time Frame: Month -1 and after 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months ]
- Proportion of patients with NAb positive titre <5 [ Time Frame: Month -1 and after 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months ]
- Change in annualised relapse rate [ Time Frame: at 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months ]
- The number of relapse-free patients [ Time Frame: at 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 months ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00492466
|Coordinating Research Site|
|Principal Investigator:||Biogen-Idec Investigatoremail@example.com|