Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effectiveness of Group Treatment With War-Exposed Bosnian Adolescents
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00480480|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 31, 2007
Last Update Posted : May 31, 2007
Context: This is the first multi-site randomized controlled study of the effectiveness of a group treatment for war-exposed adolescents delivered in-country within a public school system.
Objective: To evaluate the effectiveness of a trauma/grief-focused group treatment program in reducing symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and traumatic grief in war-exposed Bosnian youths attending 10 secondary schools located in Central Bosnia.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Depression Grief (Traumatic Grief and Existential Grief)||Behavioral: Trauma and Grief Component Therapy for Adolescents (Group Version)||Not Applicable|
Design: A randomized controlled trial conducted during the 2000-2001 school year, with 4-month follow-up, compared group treatment to a psychoeducation/skill-based school milieu intervention.
Setting and Participants: Students attending 10 Bosnian secondary schools exposed to severe trauma, traumatic loss, and severe adversity, reporting severe persisting symptoms of PTSD, depression, or traumatic grief, and functional impairment.
Intervention: Students were randomly assigned to either 17-session Trauma and Grief Component Therapy (n=71), or a school milieu intervention (n=73), both conducted by trained school counselors.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||144 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Long-Term Post- War Adjustment in Bosnian Adolescents, Their Parents and Teachers|
|Study Start Date :||September 2000|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2001|
- UCLA PTSD Reaction Index [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment, post-treatment, and at 4-month follow-up ]
- Depression Self-Rating Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment, post-treatment, and 4-month follow-up ]
- UCLA Grief Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment, post-treatment ]
- Cognitive Distortions Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment and post-treatment ]
- War Exposure Index [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Post-War Adversities Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Trauma Reminder Screening Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Loss Reminder Screening Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Youth Outcome Questionnaire (Somatic and Interpersonal Problems Subscales) [ Time Frame: Pre- and post-treatment ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00480480
|Principal Investigator:||Christopher M Layne, Ph.D.||Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, USA|