Nutritional Programme for Dementia Elderly Patient
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00479843|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 28, 2007
Last Update Posted : January 24, 2014
The main objective of this study is the improvement of the quality of life and state of health of elderly people with cognitive deterioration and their families through a weight loss prevention programme.
The secondary objectives are the improvement of the state of nutrition, a reduction in the use of resources and a reduction in the burden on the main carer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Alzheimer's Disease Dementia||Behavioral: Nutritional programme|
Main objective The main objective of this project is the evaluation of the effectiveness of a nutrition programme in patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias. Through the Nutrition Programme the idea is to reduce functional and weight loss in elderly people with cognitive deterioration and their families.
Evaluation of the effectiveness of the intervention
-The main evaluation criteria which will allow the effectiveness of this intervention to be evaluated are the reduction in the loss of autonomy measured by the DA/IDA scale.
The secondary objectives of this study are:
- Improvement in the patient's state of nutrition The measurement criteria which will allow the patient's nutritional state to be evaluated will be their weight, BMI and MNA.
- Reducing the burden on carers. The Zarit scale will be used for this evaluation.
- Evaluation of the use of healthcare and social resources. The RUD scale will be used.
- Improvement of medical practice regarding nutrition.
- Evaluation of the representatives of our population with regard to the participation in a programme of these characteristics evaluating.
- Evaluation of the satisfaction of elderly people and their families in relation to the programme.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||946 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Development of a Programme to Show the Positive Effect of a Nutritional Programme on Preventing Functional and Weight Losses in Patients With Dementia|
|Study Start Date :||July 2005|
|Primary Completion Date :||July 2007|
|Study Completion Date :||July 2007|
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of the intervention -The main evaluation criteria which will allow the effectiveness of this intervention to be evaluated are the reduction in the loss of autonomy measured by the DA/IDA scale. [ Time Frame: Baseline, 6 months, 12 months ]
- -Improvement in the patient's state of nutrition -Reducing the burden on carers with the Zarit scale. -Evaluation of the use of healthcare and social resources with the RUD scale. -Improvement of medical practice regarding nutrition. [ Time Frame: Baseline, 6 months, 12 months ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00479843
|Institut Català de l'envelliment|
|Barcelona, Spain, 08041|
|Principal Investigator:||Antoni SALVA, MD||SPAIN: Institut Català de l'envelliment|