Breast Mammogram and Tissue Study
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00475761|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : May 21, 2007
Last Update Posted : April 5, 2018
Women whose mammograms show a lot of dense areas are more likely to develop breast cancer and to have cancers that are missed by mammograms.
It is unclear why some factors lead to having dense breasts and why having dense breasts increases the risk of developing breast cancer.
To determine why some women s breasts look dense on mammograms.
To determine what types of cells and tissues make up dense areas of breasts and why these tissues may be more likely to become cancerous.
Women between 40 and 65 years of age who have not had breast cancer or received medicines or radiation for any type of cancer and who are scheduled to undergo a breast biopsy.
This study is conducted at the University of Vermont, in collaboration with the NCI.
Participants undergo the following:
- Review of their medical records collected over the last 2 years by the Vermont Mammography Registry.
- Participation in a short telephone interview.
- Height and weight measurement.
- Testing of biopsy tissue collected for diagnosis or treatment.
- Future contacts regarding health status for up to 10 years, including review of additional mammograms, removed tissues, questionnaires and medical records collected by the Vermont Mammography Registry during the 10-year study.
Participants may also undergo the following optional procedures:
- Provide a mouthwash sample for genetic testing.
- Provide a blood sample to test for markers of dense mammograms or breast cancer.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||466 participants|
|Official Title:||Breast Radiology Evaluation and Study of Tissues (Breast) Stamp Project|
|Study Start Date :||May 12, 2007|
- Breast Cancer [ Time Frame: Enrollment ]
- Mammographic density [ Time Frame: Enrollment and over 10 years of follow-up ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00475761
|United States, Vermont|
|University of Vermont|
|Burlington, Vermont, United States, 05405|
|Principal Investigator:||Gretchen Benson, Ph.D.||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|