DNA Analysis of Blood and Tissue From Patients With Lung Cancer
RATIONALE: Studying samples of blood and tissue from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to cancer. It may also help the study of cancer in the future.
PURPOSE: This clinical trial is analyzing the DNA in blood and tissue samples from patients with lung cancer.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Retrospective
|Official Title:||Molecular and Genetic Analysis of Lung Cancer|
- Metabolic polymorphisms [ Time Frame: 10 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]to compare differences among lung cancer patients
Biospecimen Retention: Samples With DNA
|Study Start Date:||September 2005|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||September 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||June 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
- Assess the role of genetic polymorphisms in lung-cancer risk in patients with lung cancer.
- Assess the role of germline polymorphisms in DNA repair genes, p53 pathway genes, and a matrix metalloproteinase gene (tumor invasion factor) in lung-cancer risk, after adjusting for potential confounders.
- Assess the roles of gender and age in the genetic susceptibility of lung cancer.
- Assess the role of genetic polymorphisms in modifying the diet-lung cancer risk association (gene-diet and exploratory gene-gender-diet and gene-gene-diet interactions).
- Assess the role of polymorphisms on the risk of developing specific histologic subtypes of lung cancer in case-only analyses.
- Determine whether continued exposures to mainstream and/or second-hand tobacco smoking is associated with poorer clinical prognosis in patients treated for lung cancer.
OUTLINE: This is a case-control study.
Blood samples are collected from patients and controls. Samples are analyzed by polymerase chain reaction for gene polymorphisms. Genes to be studied include GSTP1, GSTM1, GSTT1, ERCC2, XRCC1, EPHX, NAT-2, p53 gene, CYP1A1, NQO1, MnSOD, and GPX1. Tissue samples collected from patients undergoing surgery and blood samples are archived for future studies.
Patients and controls complete questionnaires about diet, medical history, and occupational/environmental history.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 3,400 patients and 3,400 controls will be accrued for this study.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00471978
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Massachusetts General Hospital||Recruiting|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114|
|Contact: Clinical Trials Office - Massachusetts General Hospital 877-726-5130|
|Harvard School of Public Health||Recruiting|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|Contact: David C. Christiani, MD 617-726-9274|
|Principal Investigator:||David C. Christiani, MD||Massachusetts General Hospital|