Combination Chemotherapy as First-Line Therapy in Treating Patients With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Duodenum or Pancreas That Cannot Be Removed By Surgery
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving more than one drug (combination chemotherapy) may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well combination chemotherapy works as first-line therapy in treating patients with locally advanced or metastatic neuroendocrine tumors of the duodenum or pancreas that cannot be removed by surgery.
Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor
Islet Cell Tumor
Drug: irinotecan hydrochloride
Drug: leucovorin calcium
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Study of First-Line Therapy Comprising Leucovorin Calcium, Fluorouracil, and Irinotecan (FOLFIRI) in Patients With Progressive Locally Advanced or Metastatic Duodenal-Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors|
|Study Start Date:||May 2004|
|Study Completion Date:||July 2007|
|Primary Completion Date:||January 2006 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|Experimental: FOLFIRI||Drug: fluorouracil Drug: irinotecan hydrochloride Drug: leucovorin calcium|
- Determine the 6-month progression-free survival rate in patients with unresectable locally advanced or metastatic neuroendocrine tumors of the duodenum/pancreas treated with fluorouracil, leucovorin calcium, and irinotecan hydrochloride as first-line chemotherapy.
- Determine tumor and biologic response at 6, 12, 18, and 24 months in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the duration of response of the primary tumor in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the tolerability of this regimen in these patients.
- Determine the progression-free survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the overall survival of patients treated with this regimen.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Patients receive irinotecan hydrochloride IV over 90 minutes and leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours on day 1 and fluorouracil IV over 46 hours on days 1 and 2. Courses repeat every 14 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study therapy, patients are followed every 3 months for 1 year and then every 6 months thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 20 patients will be accrued for this study.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00416767
|Study Chair:||Guillaume Cadiot||CHU - Robert Debre|