Neo-Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Locally Advanced Gastric Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00414271|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified December 2008 by Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
First Posted : December 21, 2006
Last Update Posted : December 17, 2008
Thymidylate Synthase (TS) is a key enzyme in the synthesis of DNA and the target enzyme inhibited by 5-fluorouracil. TS level in the tumour cells has been reported as predictive to response to 5-FU and a prognostic factor in colorectal and gastric cancer patients. We plan to study TS by IHC in the paraffin blocks of tumour tissue.
A combined comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) and expression microarray analysis of gastric cancer specimens before and after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. CGH will be performed using standard technique routinely done in Dr Patrick Tan's laboratory at the National Cancer Centre, which determines the gain or loss of DNA copies of each chromosome. Total RNA will be extracted from at least one biopsy sample which contains at least 50% cancer cells by homogenization of the tumour tissue and tri-sol method. 5 ug of RNA were amplized and hybridized with the C-DNA microarrays of 18K targets.
1. Feasibility and safety of pre-operative chemotherapy in locally advanced gastric cancer.
- Complete clinical and pathological response rates to pre-operative chemotherapy in locally advanced gastric cancer
- Complete resection rate.
- Time to recurrence, disease free and overall survival
- Correlation of clinical outcome with RUNX-3 methylation status and Thymidylate synthetase in the tumor tissue.
Correlation of CGH and gene expression profile and their changes after chemotherapy with clinical outcome.
Patients may be included in the study only if they meet all of the following criteria:
Age at least 18 years. Histologic or cytologic diagnosis of adenocarcinoma of stomach or gastric cardia (Siewart Classification Type III) Preoperative Stage T3-4NxM0 by endoscopic ultrasound, CT of the abdomen/pelvis and laparoscopy. (CT of the chest if it is a cardia lesion). Absence of malignant cells in peritoneal lavage fluid during laparoscopic examination.
Patients must not have received any prior chemotherapy or hormonal therapy for the treatment of gastric cancer.
Karnofsky performance status of 70 or higher. Estimated life expectancy of at least 12 weeks.
Adequate organ function including the following:
- Bone marrow: White blood cells (WBC) at least 3.5 x 109/L Absolute neutrophil (segmented and bands) count (ANC) at least 1.5 x 109/L Platelets at least 100 x 109/L Haemoglobin at least 9g/dL
- Hepatic: Bilirubin within upper limit of normal (ULN), ALT or AST not more than 2.5x ULN Alkaline phosphatase not more than 2.5x ULN.
- Renal: creatinine not more than 1.5x ULN Signed informed consent by patient or legal representative. Patients with reproductive potential must use an approved contraceptive method if appropriate (eg, intrauterine device, birth control pills, or barrier device) during and for three months after the study. Females with childbearing potential must have a negative serum pregnancy test within 7 days prior to study enrollment.
The study plans to recruit 30 patients in 12-18 months.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Stage T3-4NxM0 Gastric Cancer||Drug: Capecitabine, doxcetaxol||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study of Neo-Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Locally Advanced Gastric Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||January 2006|
- Rate of complete pathological response
- Correlation of clinical outcomes such as time to recurrence, overall survival, and complete pathological response with RUNX-3 methylation status and Thymidylate synthetase in the tumor tissue.
- Feasibility and safety of pre-operative chemotherapy in locally advanced gastric cancer
- Correlation of CGH and gene expression profile and their changes after chemotherapy with the same clinical outcomes
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00414271
|Johns Hopkins Singapore International Medical Center|
|Singapore, Singapore, 308433|
|Principal Investigator:||Alex Chang||Johns Hopkins University|