Phase 1/2 Study of Enzastaurin in Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) and Gliosarcoma (GS) Patients
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00402116|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 22, 2006
Results First Posted : August 6, 2020
Last Update Posted : August 6, 2020
There will be 2 phases in this study. Patients will either be enrolled to the first phase or to the second phase, depending upon when they enroll into the study.
The first phase of this study is done to evaluate the safety of enzastaurin in patients. This is done by gradually increasing the dose of the drug in small groups of patients and watching closely for side effects.
In the second phase of the study, the dose determined to be safe will be used with temozolomide during and following radiation therapy to see if the combination can help patients with brain tumors live longer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Glioblastoma Glioblastoma Multiforme Gliosarcoma||Drug: enzastaurin Drug: temozolomide Radiation: radiation therapy||Phase 1 Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||72 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase 1/2 Study of Enzastaurin Plus Temozolomide During and Following Radiation Therapy in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme or Gliosarcoma|
|Study Start Date :||September 2006|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2009|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2009|
The Phase 1 consisted of the dose escalation of enzastaurin in 2 cohorts of up to 6 patients to assess maximum tolerated dose (MTD). Cohort 1 = radiotherapy/enzastaurin 250 mg per day/temozolomide 75 mg/m^2 therapy. The 6 initial cohort patients were clinically evaluated for dose-limiting toxicities (DLT). If no more than 1 of 6 patients experienced a DLT or tumor progression, patients continued 1 complete adjuvant enzastaurin/temozolomide 28-day cycle. If there was no significant toxicity after the first adjuvant cycle, participants received subsequent adjuvant enzastaurin/temozolomide cycles. If no more than 1 of the 6 initial cohort participants treated at 250 mg of enzastaurin experienced a DLT during radiotherapy and the first adjuvant cycle, up to 6 more participants could be entered at 500 mg of enzastaurin. The Phase 2, using the MTD determined in the Phase 1 (250 mg), evaluated the combination's safety and measured OS.
Phase 1 - 250 mg Cohort 1 with one dose escalation allowed to 500 mg for Cohort 2, oral, daily, 6 weeks then twelve 28 day cycles
Phase 2 - Phase 1 established dose, oral, daily, 6 weeks then twelve 28 day cycles
Other Name: LY317615
75 milligrams per meter squared (mg/m^2), oral, daily, 6 weeks then 200 mg/m^2, oral, daily, twelve 28 day cycles
Radiation: radiation therapy
1.8-2.0 Gy x 30 fractions, 5 days/week, for 6 weeks
- Phase 1- Determination of the Maximum Tolerated Dose (MTD) of Enzastaurin [ Time Frame: Until MTD can be determined (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]Phase 1- dose escalation of enzastaurin in 2 cohorts up to 6 participants each in order to assess MTD. After radiation/enzastaurin 250 mg per day/temozolomide 75 mg/m^2 therapy, if no more than 1 of 6 patients experienced a dose-limiting toxicity (DLT) or tumor progression, participants completed one 28-day cycle. If no significant toxicity after the first cycle, participants received subsequent cycles. If no more than 1 of the 6 patients treated at 250 mg of enzastaurin experienced a DLT, up to 6 more patients could be entered at escalated dose cohort of enzastaurin (500 mg).
- Phase 1 and Phase 2 - Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: Baseline to death from any cause (Up to 48 weeks) ]OS is the time from surgical diagnosis to the date of death from any cause. For participants who were alive, OS was censored at the last contact.
- Phase 1 - Number of Participants With Adverse Events (AEs) [ Time Frame: Every cycle (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]Summaries of serious AEs (SAEs) and all other non-serious AEs are located in the Reported Adverse Event Module.
- Phase 1 and 2: Association Between Biomarkers and Clinical Outcome [ Time Frame: Baseline, Cycle 2, end of study (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]Phosphorylated-S6 (pS6) ribosomal protein is a biomarker that's being investigated as a potential marker for clinical outcome using 2211 or 2215 antibody to pS6. Reported here are the hazard ratios and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for participants for whom an pS6 immunohistochemistry (IHC) score was available. The IHC assays were scored using a 0 to +3 scoring system (no positive staining was scored 0; at least 25% immunoreactivity of cells was scored +1; 26% to 75% was scored +2; and 76% or greater was scored +3). Hazard ratio (HR) > 1 indicates worse outcome for that IHC score.
- Phase 1 - Response Rate With Macdonald Criteria [ Time Frame: Baseline, following radiation, every other cycle (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]Response categories: complete response (CR): disappearance of all enhancing tumor on consecutive magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans at least 1 month apart, off steroids, and neurologically stable or improved. Partial response (PR): 50% reduction in size of enhancing tumor on consecutive MRI scans at least 1 month apart, steroids stable or reduced, and neurologically stable or improved. Progressive disease (PD): >25% increase in size of enhancing tumor or any new tumor on MRI scans, or neurologically worse, and steroids stable or increased. Stable disease (SD): all other situations.
- Phase 2 - Number of Participants With Adverse Events (AEs) [ Time Frame: Every cycle (28 days per cycle) ]Summaries of serious AEs (SAEs) and all other non-serious AEs are located in the Reported Adverse Event Module.
- Number of Participants Undergoing Magnetic Resonance Imaging/Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRI/MRS) for Clinical Evaluation at Baseline [ Time Frame: Each radiologic assessment (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]Number of patients having MRI/MRS for clinical evaluation with baseline assessment.
- Phase 1 and 2 - Progression-Free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: Baseline to measured progressive disease (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]PFS was defined as the time from date of first dose to the first observation of disease progression, or death due to any cause.
- Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy - Brain (FACT-Br) [ Time Frame: Every cycle (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]Total FACT-Br score includes physical well-being, social/family well-being, emotional well-being, functional well-being and additional concerns related to brain tumors. The score ranges 0 to 200, with a higher score representing better quality of life.
- M.D. Anderson Symptom Inventory - Brain Tumor (MDASI-BT) [ Time Frame: Every cycle (up to 12 cycles, 28 days per cycle) ]General and brain tumor-specific symptoms each assessed on a scale of 0 to 10, with a higher score representing higher symptom burden. The 4 symptom scales reported as changing over the course of the study are listed here.
- Phase 1- Pharmacokinetics (PK): Maximum Observed Drug Concentration During 1 Dosing Interval at Steady State (Cmax,ss) for Enzastaurin, LY326020, and Total Analyte (Enzastaurin + LY326020) When Enzastaurin Administered With or Without Temozolomide [ Time Frame: Cycle 1 Day 22, Cycle 2 Day 5, 28 days per Cycle ]Cmax,ss was calculated using concentration versus time data of enzastaurin, LY326020, and Total Analyte (enzastaurin + LY326020) when 250 mg or 500 mg enzastaurin was administered alone or with 75 mg/m^2 temozolomide. Data are reported as Geometric Mean and Geometric Coefficient of Variation (%).
- Phase 1 and 2- Pharmacokinetics: Area Under the Concentration-Time Curve During 1 Dosing Interval at Steady State (AUCτ,ss) for Enzastaurin, LY326020 and Total Analyte (Enzastaurin + LY326020) When Enzastaurin Administered With or Without Temozolomide [ Time Frame: Phase 1, Cycle 1 Day 22, Cycle 2 Day 5 of a 28 day Cycle; Phase 2, Cycle 1 Day 22 of a 28 day Cycle ]AUCτ,ss was calculated using concentration versus time data of enzastaurin, LY326020, and total analyte (enzastaurin + LY326020). Data are reported as Geometric Mean and Geometric Coefficient of Variation (%).
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00402116
|United States, California|
|For additional information regarding investigative sites for this trial, contact 1-877-CTLILLY (1-877-285-4559, 1-317-615-4559), Mon - Fri from 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time (UTC/GMT - 5 hours, EST), or speak with your personal physician|
|San Francisco, California, United States|
|Study Director:||Call 1-877-CTLILLY (1-877-285-4559) or 1-317-615-4559 Mon - Fri 9 AM - 5 PM Eastern time (UTC/GMT - 5 hours, EST)||Eli Lilly and Company|