Maintaining Bone Strength in Men With Prostate Cancer
The purpose of this study is to see if giving zoledronic acid three times a year is as effective as five times a year, in increasing bone strength in men with prostate cancer. All participants will receive the active drug but half will receive drug every 6 months and the other half will receive drug every 3 months. Both patient and doctor will know which treatment a patient is receiving.
After 1 year of treatment bone strength will be measured with scans and compared to the strength at the start of the study. All participants will stop receiving the drug after 1 year and will be seen back in the clinic, annually for another 2 years for follow-up.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||An Open-Label, Randomized, Multicentre Study to Evaluate the Efficacy of Two Zoledronic Acid Schedules on Bone Mineral Density in Prostate Cancer Patients Undergoing Androgen Deprivation Therapy|
- Change in bone mineral density (BMD) at lumbar spine as assessed by dual energy x-ray absoptiometry (DEXA) scan
- To compare the effect of zoledronic acid 4 mg every 12 weeks versus every 24 weeks on:
- The percent change in BMD of the total hip following one year of therapy and the forearm following one year of therapy. This will be carried out at a limited number of centres.
- Quality of life following one year of therapy.
- Various biochemical markers of bone resorption (N-telopeptide, NTX, C-telopeptide, CTX, TRACP, PINP) and bone formation (bone alkaline phosphatase, BAP) during one year of therapy. This will be carried out at a limited number of centres.
- Percentage of and rate of vertebral and hip fractures.
- Safety and tolerability
|Study Start Date:||October 2006|
|Primary Completion Date:||May 2007 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00391950
|Derby, United Kingdom|