Rituximab and Combination Chemotherapy in Treating Patients With Newly Diagnosed Stage II, Stage III, or Stage IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma
RATIONALE: Monoclonal antibodies, such as rituximab, can block cancer growth in different ways. Some block the ability of cancer cells to grow and spread. Others find cancer cells and help kill them or carry cancer-killing substances to them. Drugs used in chemotherapy work in different ways to stop the growth of cancer cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving rituximab together with combination chemotherapy may kill more cancer cells.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well giving rituximab together with combination chemotherapy works in treating patients with newly diagnosed stage II, stage III, or stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Drug: ABVD regimen
Genetic: DNA methylation analysis
Other: laboratory biomarker analysis
Radiation: fludeoxyglucose F 18
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial of Rituximab -ABVD for Classical Hodgkin's Disease|
- Impact of Rituximab on Plasma DNA Biomarkers [ Time Frame: 5 years ]
- Relationship Between Marker Detection and Clinical Outcome [ Time Frame: 3 years ]Number of relapses for participants who did and did not have re-emergence of clonal CD27(+) ALDH(+) B cells after completing study intervention.
- Event-free Survival [ Time Frame: 3 years ]Percentage of participants who did not experience death, relapse, or progression (worsening) of their lymphoma.
- Addition of Information to Fludeoxyglucose F 18 Positron Emission Tomography (FDG-PET) by Plasma DNA Biomarkers [ Time Frame: 5 years ]
|Study Start Date:||May 2006|
|Study Completion Date:||October 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
ABVD (Adriamycin/doxorubicin; vinblastine; bleomycin; dacarbazine) given as standard for 6-8 cycles. Rituximab given 375 mg/m^2 Cycle 1 Days -6, 1, 8, 15, and 22. Rituximab given 375 mg/m^2 Cycles 2, 4, and 6 Day 1.
Other Name: bleomycin sulfateBiological: rituximab Drug: ABVD regimen Drug: dacarbazine Drug: doxorubicin
Other Name: doxorubicin hydrochloride; AdriamycinDrug: vinblastine Genetic: DNA methylation analysis Other: laboratory biomarker analysis Radiation: fludeoxyglucose F 18
- Investigate plasma DNA biomarkers, including plasma clonal immunoglobulin DNA, tumor suppressor gene methylation, and Epstein-Barr virus DNA, in patients receiving rituximab and doxorubicin hydrochloride, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine (ABVD) for newly diagnosed stage II-IV classical Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Characterize the impact of rituximab on these markers.
- Characterize the relationship between marker detection and clinical outcome.
- Estimate the event-free survival of patients with newly diagnosed Hodgkin's lymphoma treated with rituximab and ABVD.
- Assess the presence of Hodgkin's lymphoma stem cells in peripheral blood mononuclear cells at baseline, after treatment with rituximab, and after treatment with ABVD.
- Assess whether plasma DNA biomarkers add information to fludeoxyglucose F 18 positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) in assessing tumor response.
OUTLINE: Patients receive doxorubicin hydrochloride IV, vinblastine IV, bleomycin IV, and dacarbazine IV (ABVD) on days 1 and 15 of all courses. Patients also receive rituximab IV on days -6, 1, 8, 15, and 22 of ABVD course 1 and on day 1 only of ABVD courses 2, 4, and 6. Treatment repeats every 28 days for 6-8 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Patients with bulky disease may undergo radiotherapy.
Plasma samples are obtained during treatment for investigation of tumor markers (e.g., immunoglobulin rearrangement, patterns of DNA methylation, and the presence of Epstein-Barr virus DNA). Patients undergo fludeoxyglucose F18 positron emission tomography periodically during the study.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 35 patients will be accrued for this study.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00369681
|United States, California|
|City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Duarte, California, United States, 91010-3000|
|United States, Iowa|
|Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center at University of Iowa|
|Iowa City, Iowa, United States, 52242-1009|
|United States, Maryland|
|Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins|
|Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 21231-2410|
|United States, Minnesota|
|Mayo Clinic Cancer Center|
|Rochester, Minnesota, United States, 55905|
|Study Chair:||Yvette L. Kasamon, MD||Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center|