Effect of Calcium/Vitamin D Supplementation on Body Weight and Fat Loss.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00353054|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : July 17, 2006
Last Update Posted : July 17, 2006
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity Overweight||Drug: Caltrate® 600 + D Behavioral: Weight loss intervention||Phase 4|
The effect of a calcium supplementation on body weight loss is inconclusive and some studies have suggested that adequate calcium intake can have a favourable effect on some metabolic variables. The objectives of this study were to evaluate the impact of (Caltrate 600 + D ®) on body composition and various indicators of metabolic health in overweight and obese females characterised by a usual low daily calcium intake, on a weight-reducing program.
The main hypotheses of this study were:
- Caltrate 600 +D® increases body weight and fat mass losses of individuals on a weight-reducing program.
- Caltrate 600 +D® improves the metabolic profile of these subjects, independently of variations promoted by body fat loss.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||80 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Official Title:||A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Effect of Calcium/Vitamin D Supplementation (Caltrate 600+ D) on Body Weight and Fat Loss in Overweight and Obese Individuals on a Weight-Reducing Program.|
|Study Start Date :||January 2003|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||July 2005|
- Body weight and fat mass loss at the end of the 15-week weight loss supplemented intervention.
- Change in metabolic variables at the end of the 15-week calcium/vitamin D supplemented weight loss intervention
- Change in energy/macronutrient intake at the end of the 15-week calcium/vitamin D supplemented weight loss intervention
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00353054
|Quebec, Canada, G1K 7P4|
|Principal Investigator:||Angelo Tremblay, PhD||Laval University|