Developing Interview Questions to Estimate Workplace Exposure to Electric and Magnetic Fields
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00340054|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 21, 2006
Last Update Posted : March 8, 2012
RATIONALE: Electric and magnetic fields may increase the risk of cancer. Developing interview questions that accurately estimate a person's exposure to electric and magnetic fields may help doctors learn about the long-term effects of workplace exposure.
PURPOSE: This clinical trial is developing interview questions that can be used in estimating workplace exposure to electric and magnetic fields.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors||Other: questionnaire administration Procedure: study of high risk factors|
- Validate an interview-based electric and magnetic field exposure (EMF) assessment algorithm against measurements of the time-weighted average magnetic field magnitude used in previous epidemiologic studies.
- Calibrate the parameters in the algorithm in order to improve the exposure estimates.
- Correlate EMF exposure estimates from the algorithm with biologically based metrics measured by new instrumentation.
OUTLINE: Participants respond to questions during a 5- to 15-minute telephone interview concerning workplace exposure to electric and magnetic (EMF) fields. Data is collected during the interview using an exposure assessment algorithm designed to estimate EMF workplace exposure based on participants' responses. The interview-based estimates are then validated against actual field measurements of magnetic field exposure captured by Emdex multiwave monitors located at participating sites.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||108 participants|
|Official Title:||Assessment of Occupational EMF Exposure - Validation of Interview Procedures Used in Brain Tumor Study|
|Study Start Date :||October 2005|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2007|
- Validation of an interview-based electric and magnetic field (EMF) exposure assessment algorithm
- Calibration of algorithm parameters
- Correlation between EMF exposure estimates from the algorithm with biologically based metrics measured by new instrumentation
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00340054
|United States, California|
|Menlo Park, California, United States, 94025|
|United States, Ohio|
|National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health|
|Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, 45226|
|Study Chair:||Joseph Coble, DSc||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|