Study of How An Ankle Strap Changes Effects of Insole Treatment for Knee Osteoarthritis
The goal of this project is to assess the effects of an ankle strap on the effectiveness of a laterally-wedged insole with ankle strapping in reducing knee symptoms and improving static and dynamic lower limb biomechanics. Using a repeated measures, modified cross-over design, the following aims and hypotheses will be addressed:
- Use of the insole with ankle strapping significantly alters hip-knee-ankle (HKA) angle towards 180° or talar valgus angulation.
- Use of the insole with ankle strapping significantly reduces peak knee external varus moment during gait.
- Use of the insole with ankle strapping significantly reduces foot external rotation (out-toeing) or widened base during gait analysis.
- The radiographic HKA angle and tilt angle of the talus will predict knee peak external varus moment during gait.
1. The use of an insole with ankle strapping over a two-week period will reduce knee pain (Visual analogue scale, and Knee Osteoarthritis Outcome Survey).
|Medial Compartment Knee Osteoarthritis||Device: Laterally-Wedged Insole with Ankle Strapping Device: Laterally-Weged Insole||Phase 2 Phase 3|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Immediate and Short-Term Analgesic and Biomechanical Effects of a Laterally Wedged Insole With Ankle Strapping for Medial Compartment Knee Osteoarthritis|
- Hip-Knee-Ankle Alignment
- Talar Tilt Angle
- External Knee Adduction Moment
- Pain Assessment
- Gait Velocity
- Center of Pressure
- Foot Progression Angle
|Study Start Date:||May 2006|
|Study Completion Date:||August 2006|
|Primary Completion Date:||August 2006 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00331110
|United States, Iowa|
|University of Iowa|
|Iowa City, Iowa, United States, 52242|
|Principal Investigator:||Neil A Segal, MD||University of Iowa|