Bortezomib and Celecoxib in Treating Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00290680|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 13, 2006
Last Update Posted : April 30, 2012
RATIONALE: Bortezomib and celecoxib may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth. Giving bortezomib together with celecoxib may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase I trial is studying the side effects and best dose of bortezomib and celecoxib in treating patients with advanced solid tumors.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Unspecified Adult Solid Tumor, Protocol Specific||Drug: bortezomib Drug: celecoxib||Phase 1|
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of bortezomib and celecoxib in patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Determine the overall pattern of toxicities associated with this combination, including the emergence of any cumulative toxicities, during multiple courses of this regimen.
- Describe the response rate and duration of response or disease stability during therapy in the subset of patients with measurable disease.
- Assess changes in plasma/serum sphingosine-1-phosphate, ceramide, and other markers of the apoptotic pathway before and during therapy.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study.
Patients receive bortezomib IV on days 1, 4, 8, and 11 or days 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29 and oral celecoxib twice daily on days 1-21 or 1-42. Courses repeat every 21 or 42 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients are evaluated every 2 courses. Patients achieving complete response (CR) receive 2 additional courses of therapy beyond CR.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of bortezomib and celecoxib until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed every 3 months.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 36 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||36 participants|
|Official Title:||Phase I Trial of Bortezomib (VELCADE™) and Celecoxib in Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors|
|Study Start Date :||March 2005|
|Primary Completion Date :||January 2009|
|Study Completion Date :||January 2009|
- Maximum tolerated dose
- Response and disease progression by RECIST criteria before each course
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00290680
|United States, South Carolina|
|Hollings Cancer Center at Medical University of South Carolina|
|Charleston, South Carolina, United States, 29425|
|Study Chair:||Andrew S. Kraft, MD||Medical University of South Carolina|