Use of Acupuncture for Stimulation of Labour
Hypothesis:Acupuncture can be used as stimulation of labour in case of primary og secondary inertia.
A randomized controlled trial including 150 pregnant women Acupuncture has become a natural part of the range of obstetric treatments offered in danish delivery wards, but there is only little evidence to the effect of the acupuncture.
The women are randomized into to groups.
- Acupuncture, Acu.points: KI3, Ki6, SP6, BL60, LI4, BL67(acupressure)
- No treatment
The women will be asked in case beginning signs of inertia, if they want to parcipitate in the trial.
- Normal pregnancy
- In labour (orificium < 8 cm), 37th week or thereafter
- Ruptured membranes
- Primary or secondary inertia
The women will just before randomization be vaginally explored and fetal heart monitored. The meassure of effect happens two hours after randomization.
The midwife who measures the effect, is blinded to the treatment or lack of, and also on the including exploration.
Secondary effect meassures: length of labour, use of oxytocin and number of contracions pr/min meassured twice:
1. before the randomization and again 1 hour after randomization.
|Dystocia||Device: Acupuncture og acupressure when diagnosed with dystocia||Phase 2|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single (Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Use of Acupuncture for Stimulation of Labour|
- use of oxytocin [ Time Frame: additional need for oxytocin infusion in 1. stage and 2. stage ]
- number of contractions/30 minutes [ Time Frame: number og contractions in 1st. stage and 2nd. stage ]
|Study Start Date:||October 2002|
|Study Completion Date:||March 2007|
Device: Acupuncture og acupressure when diagnosed with dystocia
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00279071
|Study Chair:||Kjeld Rasmussen, obst. dr.med||Obstetric ward Herning and Holstebro hospitals|