Radiation Therapy Followed By Combination Chemotherapy in Treating Young Patients With Supratentorial Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumors
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
RATIONALE: Radiation therapy uses high-energy x-rays to kill tumor cells. Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as lomustine, cisplatin, and vincristine, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving radiation therapy followed by combination chemotherapy after surgery may kill any remaining tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well giving radiation therapy followed by combination chemotherapy works in treating young patients with supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumors.
Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors
Drug: vincristine sulfate
Procedure: adjuvant therapy
Radiation: radiation therapy
|Study Design:||Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Hyperfractionated Accelerated Radiotherapy (HART) With Chemotherapy (Cisplatin, CCNU, Vincristine) for Non-Pineal Supratentorial Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumours|
- Toxicity measured by hematological, gastrointestinal, mucosal, neurological, and skin morbidity during treatment and for 6 weeks after completion of treatment
- Overall and relapse free survival at follow up every 2 months for 1 year, every 3 months for 2 years, and then every 6 months for 2 years
|Study Start Date:||February 2004|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||March 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
- Determine the toxicity of hyperfractionated accelerated radiotherapy (HART) in pediatric patients with nonpineal supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumors.
- Determine overall and relapse-free survival of patients treated with HART followed by adjuvant combination chemotherapy comprising lomustine, cisplatin, and vincristine.
- Determine the toxicity of this regimen in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
- Radiotherapy: Patients undergo hyperfractionated accelerated radiotherapy (HART) twice a day, 5 days a week, for 5 weeks.
- Adjuvant combination chemotherapy: Six weeks after the last radiotherapy dose, patients receive oral lomustine once and cisplatin IV over 6 hours on day 1 and vincristine IV on days 1, 8, and 15 . Treatment repeats every 6 weeks for 8 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed periodically for at least 5 years.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 30 patients will be accrued for this study.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00274911
|Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children Crumlin|
|Dublin, Ireland, 12|
|Birmingham Children's Hospital|
|Birmingham, England, United Kingdom, B4 6NH|
|Institute of Child Health at University of Bristol|
|Bristol, England, United Kingdom, BS2 8AE|
|Cambridge, England, United Kingdom, CB2 2QQ|
|Leeds Cancer Centre at St. James's University Hospital|
|Leeds, England, United Kingdom, LS9 7TF|
|Leicester Royal Infirmary|
|Leicester, England, United Kingdom, LE1 5WW|
|Royal Liverpool Children's Hospital, Alder Hey|
|Liverpool, England, United Kingdom, L12 2AP|
|Royal London Hospital|
|London, England, United Kingdom, E1 1BB|
|Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children|
|London, England, United Kingdom, WC1N 3JH|
|Royal Manchester Children's Hospital|
|Manchester, England, United Kingdom, M27 4HA|
|Sir James Spence Institute of Child Health at Royal Victoria Infirmary|
|Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England, United Kingdom, NE1 4LP|
|Queen's Medical Centre|
|Nottingham, England, United Kingdom, NG7 2UH|
|Oxford Radcliffe Hospital|
|Oxford, England, United Kingdom, 0X3 9DU|
|Children's Hospital - Sheffield|
|Sheffield, England, United Kingdom, S10 2TH|
|Southampton General Hospital|
|Southampton, England, United Kingdom, SO16 6YD|
|Royal Marsden - Surrey|
|Sutton, England, United Kingdom, SM2 5PT|
|Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children|
|Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom, BT12 6BE|
|Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital|
|Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom, AB25 2ZG|
|Royal Hospital for Sick Children|
|Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom, EH9 1LF|
|Royal Hospital for Sick Children|
|Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom, G3 8SJ|
|Childrens Hospital for Wales|
|Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom, CF14 4XW|
|Study Chair:||Frank Saran, MD||Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust|
|OverallOfficial:||Christopher Chandler, MD||King's College Hospital NHS Trust|
|OverallOfficial:||Roger Taylor, MD||Cookridge Hospital|
|OverallOfficial:||David Ellison, MD||Northern Centre for Cancer Treatment at Newcastle General Hospital|
|OverallOfficial:||Barry Pizer, MD||Royal Liverpool Children's Hospital, Alder Hey|