Transcranial Electrical Stimulation (TCES) / Cerebral Blood Flow (CBF) / Xenon Under Computerized Tomography (Xe/CT)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00273663|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 9, 2006
Last Update Posted : June 29, 2007
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Healthy Volunteers||Device: TCES||Not Applicable|
- Principal Objective : To compare the increase in mean cerebral blood flow in a group of defined zones (the thalamus, anterior cingulate gyrus, the insula, periacqueductal region of the brain stem,the frontal lobes, the striatum and limbic system) in healthy volunteers stimulated or not stimulated by TCES.
- Secondary Objective : Description of cerebral blood flow variations in the different zones in order to map electrostimulated areas.
- Study design : An experimental, randomized, double-blind, single-centre trial with 2 groups, a study group (stimulated by TCES) and a control group (not stimulated).
- Inclusion criteria : Participants free of any known neurological or psychiatric disorder; participants not under treatment particularly with opioids, analgesics or medication containing codeine or morphine for at least a month; participants aged between 18 and 65 having signed a written informed consent ; participants having accepted to be registered on the national eligibility list for subjects participating in a trial without direct individual benefit, and covered by an insurance policy.
- Exclusion criteria : Participation in two different study trials without direct individual benefit at the same time. Contraindications to Computerized Tomography. Subjects diagnosed clinically with a Neurological or Psychiatric disorder; Subjects who have been under analgesics or morphine agonists for less than a month; Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers and women without an adequate contraception. Drug addicts or persons under tutelage.
- Study plan: Study group: Xe/CT and transcranial electrostimulation / Control group : Xe/CT
- Principal Criterion of Judgement: difference in mean cerebral blood flow between the study group(stimulated) and the control group (not stimulated).
- Secondary Criteria of Judgement : Difference in mean cerebral blood flow region per region (thalamus, anterior cingulate gyrus, insula, periacqueductal region of the brain stem, the frontal lobes, the striatum and limbic system).
- Number of subjects : 40
- Duration of subject participation in study : 2 H 30
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||44 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Official Title:||The Effects of Transcranial Electrical Stimulation (TCES) on Cerebral Blood Flow (CBF) With Xenon Under Computerized Tomography (Xe/CT)|
|Study Start Date :||January 2006|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2006|
- difference in mean cerebral blood flow between the study group(TCES stimulated) and the control group (TCES not stimulated).
- Difference in mean cerebral blood flow zone per zone (thalamus, anterior cingulate gyrus, insula, periacqueductal region of the brain stem, the frontal lobes, the striatum and limbic system).
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00273663
|Service de Neuro-radiologie, hôpital Pellegrin|
|Bordeaux, France, 33076|
|Principal Investigator:||Patrice MENEGON, MD||University Hospital, Bordeaux|
|Study Chair:||Rodolphe THIEBAUT, MD||University Hospital, Bordeaux|