Primary Angioplasty for Acute Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Symptom Duration Above 12 Hours
Background: Acute balloon angioplasty is beneficial in patients with acute myocardial infarction. However, presently this treatment is not offered to patients with symptom duration above 12 hours.
Hypothesis: Acute balloon angioplasty for myocardial infarction is beneficial despite symptom duration above 12 hours.
Methods: In 60 patients with myocardial infarction and symptom duration above 12 hours, the proportion of non-perfused myocardium before acute angioplasty and 1 month after angioplasty is compared to evaluate if myocardial tissue can be saved by acute angioplasty despite long symptom duration.
Acute Myocardial Infarction
Procedure: Primary angioplasty with stent and abciximab
|Study Design:||Allocation: Non-Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Primary Angioplasty for Acute Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Symptom Duration Above 12 Hours|
- Myocardial salvage as evaluated by repeat myocardial scintigraphy(= area at risk of infarction before primary angioplasty - infarct size at 1 month).
- Infarct size by myocardial scintigraphy at 1 month and 6 months after primary angioplasty.
- Death at 1 month and 6 months.
- Reinfarction at 1 month and 6 months.
- Ejection fraction at 1 day, 1 month and 6 months.
- Left ventricular end diastolic volume at 1 day, 1 month and 6 months.
- Brain Natriuretic Peptide levels at 1 day, 1 month and 6 months.
|Study Start Date:||May 2005|
|Study Completion Date:||December 2007|
|Primary Completion Date:||December 2007 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00260416
|Departments of Cardiology and Nuclear Medicine at Skejby Hospital|
|Aarhus, Denmark, DK-8200 N|
|Study Director:||Steen D. Kristensen, MD||Dept. of Cardiology, Skejby Hospital, AarhusUniversity Hospital, DK-8200 Aarhus N, Denmark, Europe|