A Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Highly Purified Menotrophin Versus Recombinant Follitropin Alfa
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00257556|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 23, 2005
Results First Posted : February 26, 2010
Last Update Posted : February 26, 2010
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Infertility||Drug: Menotrophin Drug: Follitropin alfa||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||80 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Prospective, Open Label, Randomised, Parallel Group, Comparative Pilot Study to Study the Efficacy and Safety of Highly Purified Menotrophin Versus Recombinant FSH (Follitropin Alfa) Administered Subcutaneously to Subfertile Female Patients Undergoing IVF Using Antagonist Downregulation|
|Study Start Date :||October 2005|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||July 2008|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||April 2009|
150 IU Menotrophin daily subcutaneous injection for a maximum of 13 days. In the event of hyperstimulation, the dose was reduced to 75 IU daily.
|Active Comparator: Follitropin alfa||
Drug: Follitropin alfa
150 IU follitropin alfa daily by subcutaneous injection for a maximum of 13 days. In the event of hyperstimulation, the dose was reduced to 75 IU daily.
- Number of Participants With an Ongoing Pregnancy [ Time Frame: Approx week 13; 9 weeks or more after the 1st positive pregnancy test ]Number of participants who met human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) criterion, received an embryo transfer, tested positive with a serum pregnancy test 11-14 days after embryo transfer and had an ongoing pregnancy (defined as positive fetal heart action) at ≥ 9 weeks after the first positive pregnancy test.
- Percentage of Participants With an Ongoing Pregnancy [ Time Frame: Approx week 13; 9 weeks or more after the first positive pregnancy test ]Percentage of participants who had an ongoing pregnancy ≥ 9 weeks after the first positive pregnancy test, as indicated by positive fetal heart action.
- Participants With Varying Numbers of Follicles That Were Greater Than or Equal to 17 Millimeters [ Time Frame: Day 7 and, if appropriate, every 2 days thereafter (Days 9/11/13) ]The criterion for ovulation induction was three follicles ≥ 17 mm diameter as shown by pelvic ultrasound examination. Patients were assessed by pelvic ultrasound on the morning (prior to menotrophin or follitropin alfa administration) of Day 7 and, if appropriate, every 2 days thereafter (Days 9/11/13) until the criterion was met.
- Participants With Varying Numbers of Oocytes Retrieved [ Time Frame: Approximately study day 15 ]Number of participants with grouped by the number of oocytes retrieved. Oocytes were retrieved following ovulation induction by subcutaneous administration of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) in the form of choriogonadotropin alfa at a dose of 250 micrograms once participants reached the criteria of at least three follicles with >= 17mm in diameter.
- Participants With Varying Numbers of Pronuclear Stage Oocytes [ Time Frame: Approximately study day 15 ]Number of participants with various groupings of pronuclear oocytes retrieved 16-20 hours after insemination.
- Participants With Varying Numbers of Embryos Transferred [ Time Frame: Approximately study day 17 ]Number of participants with various categories of numbers of embryos transferred.
- Participants With Varying Numbers of Embryos Frozen [ Time Frame: Approximately study day 17 ]Number of participants with different categories of number of embryos frozen.
- Mean Number of Days Stimulated With Gonadotrophins [ Time Frame: study days 1 - 13 ]Number of days stimulated with study drug until participant met the criteria for ovulation induction. Ovulation induction criteria is three follicles greater than or equal to 17 mm diameter as shown by pelvic ultrasound examination.
- Pregnancy Outcomes [ Time Frame: Approximately 10 months ]Long term follow-up to determine the outcome of the pregnancy.
- Mean Endometrial Thickness [ Time Frame: Day 7 or 9 or 11 or 13 ]Measurement performed on day of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) administration/ovulation induction.
- Mean Estradiol Level [ Time Frame: Day 7 or 9 or 11 or 13 ]Measurement on day of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) administration / ovulation induction.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00257556
|Gemeinschaftspraxis und Tagesklinik, Olpe 19|
|Dortmund, Germany, 44135|
|Universitats-Frauenklinik Heidelberg Abt. Gynakologische Endokrinologie und Fertilitatsstorungen, Voßstr. 9|
|Heidelberg, Germany, 69115|
|Gemeinschaftspraxis und Tagesklinik, Zingel 29|
|Hildesheim, Germany, 1134|
|Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, 51 Little France|
|Edinburgh, United Kingdom, EH16 4SA|
|Leeds General Infirmary, Great George Street|
|Leeds, United Kingdom, LS1 3EX|
|The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, University of Sheffield, Jessop Wing, Tree Root Walk|
|Sheffield, United Kingdom, S10 2SF|
|Study Director:||Clinical Development Support||Ferring Pharmaceuticals|