Enhancing Self-Understanding and Social Integration of Middle School Students With Learning Disabilities
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00246792|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified November 2005 by University of Toronto.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : October 31, 2005
Last Update Posted : February 17, 2006
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Learning Disability||Behavioral: Group treatment||Phase 2 Phase 3|
- Deliver an ecologically informed school-based intervention that addresses individual, social and environmental factors, to improve the adjustment of students with LD
- Examine the efficacy of the intervention
- Contribute to knowledge of the factors that influence the adjustment of students with LD
- Circulate this information to those who live and work with students with LD in order to offer understanding and direction for programs and interventions and to facilitate cross-sector collaboration
The research will utilize both quantitative and qualitative methodologies. 6 schools will be selected. 3 will receive the intervention in year 1 (2004-2005 school year), comprising 1) group treatment, 2) workshops, and 3) consultation. The other 3 schools will be controls in year 1 and receive the intervention in year 2 (2005-2006 school year).
Students in grades 6-8, identified as having LD will be offered the opportunity to participate in the project (with parental consent). This project comprises 3 components:
- School-based group treatment for students in grades 6-8 with LD and psychosocial problems. Group treatment will focus on assisting participants to understand the impact of their LD as well as on development of self-advocacy skills.
- Workshops on understanding LD for teachers, parents, and students without LD (grades 6-8).
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Official Title:||Enhancing Self-Understanding and Social Integration of Middle School Students With Learning Disabilities|
|Study Start Date :||September 2004|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2006|
- Child Behaviour Checklist (Achenbach, 2001)
- Youth Report Form (Achenbach, 2001)
- Teacher Report Form (Achenbach, 2001)
- Self-Perception Profile for Children (Harter, 1985)
- The Children’s Loneliness Questionnaire (Asher & Wheeler, 1985)
- The Self Advocacy Interview for Students (Brunello-Prudencio, 2001)
- Qualitative interviews with selected participants
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00246792
|Contact: Faye Mishna, PhD||(416) email@example.com|
|Contact: Barbara Muskat, MSW||(416) 486-8055 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|University of Toronto||Recruiting|
|Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 1A1|
|Contact: Faye Mishna, PhD (4126) 978-1385 email@example.com|
|Contact: Joanne Daciuk (416) 978-5720 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator:||Faye Mishna, PhD||University of Toronto|