Long-Term Evaluation Follow-up of Neurocognitive Performance and Emotional State in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis C
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00227149|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 27, 2005
Last Update Posted : February 4, 2009
This is a long-term evaluation follow-up study of neurocognitive performance and emotional state in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection and a former (peg)interferon alfa-2b-based therapy.
M.R. Kraus, G. Teuber, NN, NN (MPsych), M. Scheurlen
- Neurocognitive and psychiatric changes induced by interferon alfa-2b therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C - are they fully reversible in long-term follow-up after the end of antiviral treatment?
- At least 12 months after the end of antiviral treatment - are neurocognitive and mood-related parameters even significantly improved as compared to pretreatment values? Is this possibly only true of patients with successful virus eradication?
- At least 12 months after the end of antiviral treatment, is there a significant difference between patients with and without sustained virological response with respect to neurocognitive performance, emotional state and quality of life?
- In the absence of clinically significant liver damage in patients with chronic hepatitis C - does the mere presence of the hepatitis C virus have any significant influence on neurocognitive or attentional performance?
- Does the study data support an additional indication for antiviral therapy in chronic hepatitis C? In the case of successful virus eradication, emotional state and - above all - is neurocognitive performance significantly improved even in the absence of severe liver damage?
|Condition or disease|
|Hepatitis C, Chronic|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||197 participants|
|Official Title:||Long-Term Evaluation Follow-up of Neurocognitive Performance and Emotional State in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis C Infection and a Former (Peg)Interferon Alfa-2b-Based Therapy|
|Study Start Date :||July 2005|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 2008|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00227149
|Med. Klinik und Poliklinik II, University of Wuerzburg|
|Wuerzburg, Germany, 97070|
|Principal Investigator:||Michael R. Kraus, MD, PhD||Med. Klinik und Poliklinik II, University of Wuerzburg|