Preoperative Therapy in Patients With Stages IB, II, IIIA, and Selected IIIB Patients With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial of Preoperative (Neo-adjuvant) Therapy in Patients With Stages IB, II, IIIA, and Selected IIIB Patients With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer|
- Pathologic Complete Response Rate [ Time Frame: 18 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]A pathological complete response (pCR) was defined as having no residual cancer at the primary site or in regional lymph nodes on pathologic review.
- Progression Free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: 19 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Progression-free survival was calculated as the elapsed time between the date of study registration and the date of recurrence or death from any cause.
- Overall Response Rate (ORR) [ Time Frame: 18 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Overall response rate is the percentage of patients with complete response or partial response per RECIST v.1 Criteria. Complete response (CR) = Disappearance of all target lesions, disappearance of all nontarget lesions for at least 4 weeks. Partial Response (PR) = At least a 30% decrease in the sum of the longest diameter of target lesions, taking as reference the baseline sum of longest diameters.
- Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: 18 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Overall survival was calculated as the elapsed time bewteen date of study registration and the date of death.
|Study Start Date:||April 2004|
|Study Completion Date:||December 2008|
|Primary Completion Date:||November 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Patients with potentially resectable clinical stage IB, II, and selected III NSCLC received gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 days 1, 8 and docetaxel 30 mg/m2 days 1, 8 every 21 days for 3 cycles. Patients were restaged after treatment and resected 3-6 weeks later. If patients were inoperable, had incomplete resections or N2 disease, docetaxel 20 mg/m2 and carboplatin AUC = 1.5 weekly x 7 and radiation to 63 Gy was administered
30mg/m2 administered on days 1 and 8, 21-cycle days, 3 cycles
Other Name: TaxotereDrug: Gemcitabine
1000 mg/m2 administered by 30-minute IV infusion on day 1 and 8, 21-cycle days, 3 cycles
Other Name: GemzarDrug: Carboplatin
AUC = 1.5 weekly x 7
Other Name: ParaplatinRadiation: Radiation
To 63 Gy
Upon determination of eligibility, patients will receive:
- Gemcitabine Post-operative
- Radiation Therapy
Patients with stage IB and II NSCLC who achieved clear margins will not receive any further therapy. Patients with incomplete resection, resection margins of a T3 tumor that are positive or close, stage IIIA AND IIIB NSCLC or disease judged unresectable after preoperative chemotherapy will receive postoperative treatment
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00193427
|United States, Tennessee|
|Tennessee Oncology, PLLC|
|Nashville, Tennessee, United States, 37023|
|Principal Investigator:||David R. Spigel, MD||SCRI Development Innovations, LLC|