rhTSH, Thyroid Size, and Radioiodine Therapy in Benign Goiter
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00145366|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 5, 2005
Last Update Posted : December 28, 2010
The trials in this protocol deals with the effect of pretreatment with rhTSH on radioiodine treatment of thyroid size and function, in patients with nontoxic and toxic nodular goiter. It is an introduction of a novel principle, based on prospective, randomized double blind investigations. Attached to this, we investigate the acute effects of rhTSH on thyroid size (measured by ultrasonography), both in healthy individuals and in patients with nontoxic nodular goiter. Thus, the investigations are divided into 4 categories listed below:
- Prospective randomized double blind study of pretreatment with 0.3 mg recombinant human TSH for the effect of radioiodine in nontoxic multinodular goiter.
- Prospective randomized double blind study of the pretreatment with 0.3 mg recombinant human TSH for the effect of radioiodine on thyroid size and function in patients with a very large (>100 ml) nontoxic or toxic goiter.
- Does administration of 0.9 mg recombinant human TSH affect thyroid function and volume in healthy individuals? A randomized double-blind cross-over trial.
Does administration of 0.3 mg recombinant human TSH affect thyroid function and volume in healthy individuals and in patients with multinodular non-toxic goiter? A randomized double-blind cross-over trial.
As a final note we investigate, in a pilot-study;
- The influence of rhTSH on thyroid radioiodine uptake in patients with hyperthyroidism treated with continuous block-replacement therapy.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Benign Nontoxic and Toxic Goiter Graves' Disease||Drug: Recombinant human thyrotropin (Thyrogen)||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Enrollment :||110 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Official Title:||Pretreatment With Recombinant Human Thyrotropin (rhTSH) for the Effect on Thyroid Size and Function, and for the Effect of Radioiodine Treatment in Patients With Nodular Goiter. Prospective, Randomized Double-blinded Trials.|
|Study Start Date :||April 2002|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||July 2005|
- Ultrasonography/MR of the thyroid gland/benign goiter, in order to determine thyroid size after intervention.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00145366
|Department of Endocrinology, Odense University Hospital|
|Odense, Funen, Denmark, 5000|
|Principal Investigator:||Viveque Egsgaard Nielsen, MD||Odense University Hospital|