PERSPECTIVE: Telithromycin - Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00132938|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 22, 2005
Last Update Posted : June 8, 2011
- The primary objective of the study is to demonstrate the superiority of telithromycin over azithromycin and over cefuroxime axetil in the reduction of Streptococcus pneumoniae (Sp) strains resistant to beta-lactams or macrolides at the Test of Cure (TOC) visit in the sputum of patients with Sp detected at the start of the study (Visit 1).
The secondary objectives of the study are:
- To demonstrate the superiority of telithromycin over azithromycin and over cefuroxime axetil in achieving clinical cure and Sp eradication success at the Test of Cure visit in patients with Sp detected in sputum specimen at the start of the study (Visit 1);
- To compare the clinical cure rates achieved by each treatment group in the penicillin or erythromycin resistant Sp (PERSp) population with the cure rates in the sensitive Sp (SSp) population at the End of Therapy (EOT) and Test of Cure visits;
- To compare the effect of telithromycin, azithromycin and cefuroxime axetil at the End of Therapy visit on the presence of Streptococcus pneumoniae strains resistant to beta-lactams or macrolides in the sputum of patients with Sp detected at the start of the study (Visit 1);
- To compare the clinical efficacy at the End of Therapy visit and safety at the Test of Cure visit of telithromycin, azithromycin and cefuroxime axetil in the "global" randomized population.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Bronchitis||Drug: telithromycin||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||5660 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||An Open-label, Randomized, Multicenter, Clinical Study to Compare the Effects of Telithromycin, Azithromycin and Cefuroxime Axetil on the Penicillin or Macrolide Resistance of Streptococcus Pneumoniae in Patients With Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis|
|Study Start Date :||January 2004|
|Primary Completion Date :||May 2006|
|Study Completion Date :||May 2006|
- Presence of PERSp in sputum of patients at the TOC visit in each treatment group and who were Sp positive in sputum at Visit 1.
- Assessment of clinical signs and symptoms of AECB at EOT visit for the global efficacy analysis population & at TOC visit for patients who were Sp positive in sputum at visit 1.Bacteriological data at EOT and TOC visits. Assessment of safety...
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00132938
|United States, New Jersey|
|Bridgewater, New Jersey, United States|
|Study Director:||Gilles Perdriset, MD||Sanofi|