Abciximab for Prevention of Stroke Recurrence Before Endarterectomy in Symptomatic Carotid Stenosis
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00126139|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (Higher hemorrhage rates of Abciximab in ABESST II trial)
First Posted : August 2, 2005
Last Update Posted : May 3, 2007
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Stroke Stenosis||Drug: Abciximab||Phase 3|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Official Title:||Abciximab Versus Aspirin for Prevention of Stroke Recurrence Before Endarterectomy in Symptomatic >50% Carotid Stenosis: A Pilot Study (ASTERICS)|
|Study Start Date :||April 2004|
|Study Completion Date :||May 2005|
- Whether abciximab compared with aspirin reduces the rate of recurrent ischemic strokes in territory of symptomatic carotid artery during administration of study drug, preoperative period or carotid endarterectomy
- Reduction of the degree of carotid stenosis at ultrasound studies performed 48-72 h after compared to 24 h prior to iv administration of the study agents.
- Reduction of MES counts measured 48-72 h after compared to 24 h prior to the administration of the iv study drugs.
- Difference of number of acute ischemic infarct on DWI assessed 48-72 h after compared to 24 h prior to the administration of the iv study drugs.
- Symptomatic ICH and asymptomatic hemorrhagic transformation occurring during or within 48-72 h after the administration of the iv study drugs.
- Size of plaque/intraplaque thrombus and intraplaque hemorrhage will be assessed at pathological examination of endarterectomy specimen after CEA.
- Clinical outcome at 90 days will be assessed using the NIHSS and the mRS.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00126139
|University of Basel, Department of Neurology|
|Basel, Switzerland, 4031|
|University of Bern, Department of Neurology|
|Bern, Switzerland, 3010|
|University of Geneva, Department of Neurology|
|Geneva, Switzerland, 1211|
|University of Lausanne, Department of Neurology|
|Lausanne, Switzerland, 1011|
|University of Zurich, Department of Neurology|
|Zurich, Switzerland, 8091|
|Study Chair:||Ralf W. Baumgartner, MD||University Hospital of Zurich, Department of Neurology, Switzerland|