Raloxifene and Goserelin in Preventing Breast Cancer in Women With a Family History of Breast Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00031850|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : June 26, 2013
RATIONALE: Chemoprevention therapy is the use of certain drugs to try to prevent the development or recurrence of cancer. The use of raloxifene and goserelin may be effective in preventing breast cancer.
PURPOSE: Randomized pilot study to study the effectiveness of combining raloxifene and goserelin in preventing breast cancer in women who have a family history of breast cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Breast Cancer||Drug: goserelin acetate Drug: raloxifene|
- Compare the feasibility of raloxifene and goserelin versus no medical intervention in women at high genetic risk for developing breast cancer.
- Compare the incidence of adverse effects in patients treated with these regimens.
- Compare the effect of these regimens on bone density, biochemical markers of bone turnover, and lipid profiles in these patients.
- Compare the quality of life of patients treated with these regimens.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to participating center. Patients are randomized to one of two treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive goserelin subcutaneously once every month and oral raloxifene daily for 6-12 months.
- Arm II: Patients are screened for breast cancer every 6 months. In both arms, patients undergo annual mammograms.
Quality of life is assessed at baseline and at 1, 3, 6, and 12 months.
Patients are followed for 5 years.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 150 patients (75 per treatment arm) will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||150 participants|
|Official Title:||A Randomized Trial Of Raloxifene Plus Zoladex For Prevention Of Breast Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||March 2000|
|Study Completion Date :||May 2007|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00031850
|Christie Hospital NHS Trust|
|Manchester, England, United Kingdom, M20 4BX|
|Study Chair:||Anthony Howell, MD||The Christie NHS Foundation Trust|