Raloxifene With or Without Exercise Compared With Exercise Alone in Women Who Have Been Previously Treated for Breast Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00031811|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 6, 2003
Last Update Posted : May 28, 2012
RATIONALE: Raloxifene and exercise may improve bone health and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Assessing bone health and quality of life may improve the ability to plan treatment.
PURPOSE: Randomized clinical trial to study the effectiveness of raloxifene with or without exercise compared with exercise alone in women who have been previously treated for breast cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Breast Cancer Menopausal Symptoms Osteoporosis||Drug: raloxifene Procedure: quality-of-life assessment|
- Determine the effects of raloxifene with or without exercise versus exercise alone on bone reabsorption rate, bone formation rate, and bone density in women previously treated for breast cancer.
- Determine the effects of these regimens on the quality of life of these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter study. Patients are randomized to one of four treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients are asked to exercise 5 days a week with instruction. Patients also receive oral placebo once daily.
- Arm II: Patients receive oral raloxifene once daily.
- Arm III: Patients are asked to exercise as in arm I. Patients also receive oral raloxifene once daily.
- Arm IV: Patients receive oral placebo once daily. All patients receive oral calcium supplements once daily. Treatment continues in all arms for 24 months in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Quality of life is assessed at baseline and every 3 months during study.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 240 patients (60 per treatment arm) will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||80 participants|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Breast Cancer Survivors: Exercise and Raloxifene|
|Study Start Date :||March 2001|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2003|
|Study Completion Date :||April 2003|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00031811
|United States, Oregon|
|OHSU Knight Cancer Institute|
|Portland, Oregon, United States, 97201-3098|
|Study Chair:||Anna Schwartz, FNP, PhD||OHSU Knight Cancer Institute|