Morbidity Following the Diagnosis and Treatment of Patients With Breast Cancer
This study will examine the frequency and severity of problems in women with breast cancer during the first year after initial medical treatment, including:
- Physical impairments, such as loss of strength or flexibility, increased weight and swelling
- Symptom distress, such as pain, fatigue and weakness.
- Functional limitations and disabilities, such as loss of independence in activities of daily living (e.g., grooming, bathing, dressing, driving a car), work and social and recreational activities.
It will identify factors associated with these problems and try to determine their relationship to them.
Patients 18 years of age and older with stage I, II, III or IV breast cancer may be eligible for this study. Participants will be drawn from patients referred to the National Naval Medical Center for diagnosis and treatment during 2000-20001.
Participants will be interviewed and their medical records reviewed for past medical history, history of the present illness and social and recreational history. They will be seen five times over a 1-year period (initial visit and at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months), for 30-minute visits, which will include the following:
- Interview about past medical history and present illness, social and recreational activities, functional independence at work and during activities of daily living.
- Complete health survey and upper limb disability questionnaire; physical activity questionnaire to be completed at 6 and 12 months after medical treatment begins. The questionnaires take about 30 to 40 minutes to complete.
- Upper body examination, including pain measurement using a 10-point scale, an upper limb lift test, and measures of upper limb volume and girth.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||Morbidity Following the Diagnosis and Treatment of Patients With Breast Cancer: A Multi-Institutional Study Between the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Rehabilitation Medicine Department (RMD) and the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) Breast Care Center|
- Upper limb strength [ Time Frame: 1,3,6,9,12,60 months ]
- Range of motion [ Time Frame: 1,3,6,9,12,60 month ]
- Upper limb volume [ Time Frame: 1,3,6,9,12,60 month ]
|Study Start Date:||November 16, 2001|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||August 17, 2016|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00027105
|United States, Maryland|
|National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, 9000 Rockville Pike|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|
|Principal Investigator:||Minal Jain, R.P.T.||National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)|