Temozolomide and Vinorelbine in Treating Patients With Recurrent Brain Metastases
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die.
PURPOSE: Phase I/II trial to study the effectiveness of temozolomide and vinorelbine in treating patients who have recurrent brain metastases.
Drug: vinorelbine tartrate
|Study Design:||Allocation: Non-Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase I/II Trial Of Temozolomide And Vinorelbine For Patients With Recurrent Brain Metastases|
- Maximum tolerated dose (phase I) assessed by NCI CTC at 2 months [ Time Frame: 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Radiographic response (phase II) assessed by Macdonald criteria every 2 months [ Time Frame: 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Overall survival [ Time Frame: 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Progression-free survival [ Time Frame: 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||July 2001|
|Study Completion Date:||April 2008|
|Primary Completion Date:||April 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Temozolomide and Vinorelbine
Patients will be treated with vinorelbine on days 1 and 8 of each cycle; temozolomide will be administered on days 1 to 7 and 15 to 21 of each cycle. The dose level of temozolomide will be given at a dose of 150 mg/m2/day. A cycle will be defined as 28 days of treatment.
|Drug: temozolomide Drug: vinorelbine tartrate|
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose of vinorelbine when administered in combination with temozolomide in patients with recurrent brain metastases (phase I accrual completed).
- Determine the safety and feasibility of this treatment regimen in these patients.
- Determine the efficacy of this treatment regimen, in terms of objective radiographic response and overall and progression-free survival, in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study of vinorelbine.
Patients receive vinorelbine IV over 5-10 minutes on days 1 and 8 and oral temozolomide once daily on days 1-7 and 15-21. Courses repeat every 28 days for up to 1 year in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of vinorelbine until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 3 or 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity. Once the MTD is determined, an additional 20-35 patients will be treated at that dose level.
Patients are followed every 3-4 months.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A minimum of 3 patients will be accrued for the phase I portion of this study and 20-35 patients will be accrued for the phase II portion of this study within 2 years.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00026494
|United States, Illinois|
|Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center at Northwestern University|
|Chicago, Illinois, United States, 60611-3013|
|United States, New York|
|Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center|
|New York, New York, United States, 10021|
|Study Chair:||Lauren E. Abrey, MD||Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.|