Celecoxib Compared With No Treatment Before Surgery in Treating Patients With Localized Prostate Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00022399|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : February 21, 2011
RATIONALE: Celecoxib may be an effective treatment for early stage prostate cancer. It is not yet known if celecoxib is more effective than no treatment before surgery for prostate cancer.
PURPOSE: Randomized phase I trial to determine the effectiveness of celecoxib given before surgery to remove the prostate in treating patients who have localized prostate cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostate Cancer||Drug: celecoxib Procedure: conventional surgery Procedure: neoadjuvant therapy||Phase 1|
- Compare biomarker modulation (prostaglandin levels) in tissue samples of patients with localized prostate cancer treated with neoadjuvant celecoxib vs placebo followed by prostatectomy.
- Compare the effect of these regimens on angiogenic factors within the prostate in these patients.
- Determine the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic effects of celecoxib in these patients.
- Compare the toxicity profiles of these regimens in these patients.
- Compare the compliance of patients treated with these regimens.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive oral neoadjuvant celecoxib twice daily.
- Arm II: Patients receive oral neoadjuvant placebo twice daily. Treatment in both arms continues for at least 4 weeks followed by prostatectomy.
Patients are followed within 1 month and then at 3 months.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 60-70 patients (at least 30 per arm) will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial Of Celecoxib In Men Pre-Prostatectomy For Clinically Localized Adenocarcinoma Of The Prostate: Evaluation Of Drug-Specific Biomarker Modulation|
|Study Start Date :||September 2001|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00022399
|United States, Maryland|
|Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins|
|Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 21231-2410|
|Study Chair:||Michael A. Carducci, MD||Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins|