Combination Chemotherapy in Treating Patients Who Have Advanced Solid Tumors
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00020488|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : April 30, 2015
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: Phase I trial to study the effectiveness of combination chemotherapy in treating patients who have advanced solid tumors.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Unspecified Adult Solid Tumor, Protocol Specific||Drug: FOLFIRI regimen Drug: fluorouracil Drug: irinotecan hydrochloride Drug: leucovorin calcium||Phase 1|
- Determine the recommended phase II dose of irinotecan, leucovorin calcium, and fluorouracil in patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Determine the toxic effects of this regimen in these patients.
- Determine the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles of irinotecan and fluorouracil in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the correlation of polymorphisms in the promoter region of the thymidylate synthase gene with clinical toxicity and response in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the correlation of polymorphisms in the uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 1A1 gene promoter with the extent of SN-38 glucuronidation and severity of diarrhea in patients treated with this regimen.
- Assess any anti-tumor activity of this regimen in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study of irinotecan and fluorouracil.
Patients receive irinotecan IV continuously over 24 hours on days 1 and 15 and leucovorin calcium IV over 30 minutes followed by fluorouracil IV continuously over 48 hours on days 2 and 16. Treatment repeats every 28 days for at least 2 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of irinotecan until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. Once the MTD of irinotecan has been determined, additional cohorts receive escalating doses of fluorouracil until the MTD is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 3 or 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: Approximately 40 patients will be accrued for this study within 20 months.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I & Pharmacologic Trial Of Sequential Irinotecan As A 24-Hour IV Infusion, Leucovorin, & Flurouracil As A 48-Hour IV Infusion In Adult Cancer Patients|
|Study Start Date :||February 2001|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00020488
|United States, Maryland|
|Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center - NCI Clinical Studies Support|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892-1182|
|Study Chair:||Eva Szabo, MD||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|