Assessing the Occupation Burden in COPD
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00006513|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 21, 2000
Last Update Posted : March 16, 2016
|Condition or disease|
|Lung Diseases, Obstructive Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease|
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is the only one of the top four or five leading causes of death in the U.S. with worsening epidemiological trends. Cigarette smoking accounts for approximately 85 percent-90 percent of cases, but the other 10 percent-15 percent of the attributable risk still represents a substantial fraction of this disease that remains unexplained. Recently, several studies, in various countries, have addressed whether certain occupational exposures (primarily those relating to dusts, vapors, gases, and/or fumes) are potential risk factors for COPD. Most of these studies have shown elevated odds ratios or relative risks, although not always to a statistically significant level.
A population sample of the continental United States of those aged 55-75, supplemented by an enriched sample in geographic "hot spots" identified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) through respiratory diseases mapping. Structured telephone interviews assessed demographics, health status, smoking exposures, and occupational histories. High risk jobs were coded using a job matrix system independent of subject report of specific exposures. Two hundred thirty-four of those with COPD, with over-sampling of those with greater severity, were followed at 12-14 months to assess health status and health services utilization, as well as decrements in quality of life.
The study completion date listed in this record was obtained from the "End Date" entered in the Protocol Registration and Results System (PRS) record.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Study Start Date :||September 2000|
|Study Completion Date :||August 2004|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00006513
|OverallOfficial:||Paul Blanc||University of California, San Francisco|