Rebeccamycin Analogue in Treating Patients With Advanced Liver and/or Biliary Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00005997|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (slow accrual for Cohort II)
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : June 11, 2010
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die.
PURPOSE: Phase II trial to study the effectiveness of rebeccamycin analogue in treating patients who have advanced liver and/or biliary cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Extrahepatic Bile Duct Cancer Gallbladder Cancer Liver Cancer||Drug: becatecarin||Phase 2|
- Determine the response rate in patients with advanced hepatobiliary carcinoma treated with rebeccamycin analogue.
- Assess the toxicity associated with this drug in this patient population.
- Evaluate the survival of this patient population treated with this drug.
- Determine the pharmacokinetics of this drug in this patient population.
OUTLINE: This is a partial dose-escalation study.
Patients receive rebeccamycin analogue IV over 1 hour daily on days 1-5. Treatment repeats every 3 weeks in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Patients are assigned to 1 of 2 cohorts according to hepatic dysfunction. (Cohort I closed to accrual as of 11/1/03.)
- Cohort I (closed to accrual as of 11/1/03): Patients receive a fixed dose of rebeccamycin analogue.
- Cohort II: Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of rebeccamycin analogue until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
Patients are followed every 3 months.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 12-37 patients will be accrued for this study within 6-37 months.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||72 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase II and Pharmacokinetic Trial of Rebeccamycin Analog in Hepatobiliary Cancers|
|Study Start Date :||April 1999|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2005|
|Study Completion Date :||November 2005|
- rebeccamycin analogue
- rebeccamycin analogue, tartrate salt
- Determine the response rate in patients with advanced hepatobiliary carcinoma treated with rebeccamycin analogue. [ Time Frame: Patients are followed every 3 months. ]
- Assess the toxicity associated with this drug in this patient population. [ Time Frame: Patients are followed every 3 months. ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00005997
|United States, Alabama|
|Comprehensive Cancer Center at University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|Birmingham, Alabama, United States, 35294-3300|
|United States, Ohio|
|Ireland Cancer Center at University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Cleveland, Ohio, United States, 44106-5065|
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|Hillman Cancer Center at University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute|
|Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States, 15213|
|Study Chair:||Afshin Dowlati, MD||Ireland Cancer Center at University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center|