High-Dose Fluorouracil With or Without Leucovorin Compared With Standard Fluorouracil Plus Leucovorin Following Surgery in Treating Patients With Stage III Colon Cancer
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. It is not yet known which chemotherapy regimen is more effective for colon cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying high-dose fluorouracil with or without leucovorin to see how well it works compared to standard-dose fluorouracil and leucovorin in treating patients who have undergone surgery for stage III colon cancer.
|Colorectal Cancer||Drug: fluorouracil Drug: leucovorin calcium Procedure: adjuvant therapy||Phase 3|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Pan-European Trials in Adjuvant Colon Cancer (PETACC-2): Randomized Phase III Intergroup Trial of High-Dose Infusional 5-FU (+ or - Folinic Acid) Versus Standard Bolus 5-FU/Folinic Acid|
|Study Start Date:||March 1999|
|Study Completion Date:||April 2007|
- Compare recurrence-free survival and duration of survival in patients with stage III adenocarcinoma of the colon treated with adjuvant high-dose fluorouracil with or without leucovorin calcium versus standard fluorouracil with leucovorin calcium following curative radical resection.
- Compare the safety of these regimens in this patient population.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to regional lymph node involvement (N1 (1-3 pericolic lymph nodes) vs N2 (more than 3 pericolic lymph nodes) and participating center.
Patients are randomized to one of two treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive leucovorin calcium IV followed by fluorouracil IV on days 1-5. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for 6 courses.
- Arm II: Patients receive high-dose fluorouracil IV continuously over 48 hours weekly for 8 weeks. Treatment repeats every 8 weeks for 3 courses.
- Patients receive leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours followed by fluorouracil IV continuously over 24 hours weekly for 6 weeks. Treatment repeats every 7 weeks for 3 courses.
- Patients receive leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours followed by fluorouracil IV bolus and then fluorouracil IV continuously over 22 hours on days 1 and 2. Treatment repeats every 2 weeks for 12 courses.
Patients are followed at 1 month, every 6 months for 4.5 years, and then annually thereafter until death.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: Approximately 1,600 patients (800 per treatment arm) will be accrued for this study within 3 years.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00004150
Show 85 Study Locations
|OverallOfficial:||Claus-Henning Koehne, MD||Klinikum Oldenburg|
|OverallOfficial:||G. Leam||Saint Laurentius Ziekenhuis|
|OverallOfficial:||Laurent Bedenne, MD||Hopital Du Bocage|
|Study Chair:||Alfredo Carrato-Mena, MD||Hospital Universitario de Elche|