High-Dose Fluorouracil With or Without Leucovorin Compared With Standard Fluorouracil Plus Leucovorin Following Surgery in Treating Patients With Stage III Colon Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00004150|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : November 6, 2013
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. It is not yet known which chemotherapy regimen is more effective for colon cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying high-dose fluorouracil with or without leucovorin to see how well it works compared to standard-dose fluorouracil and leucovorin in treating patients who have undergone surgery for stage III colon cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Colorectal Cancer||Drug: fluorouracil Drug: leucovorin calcium Procedure: adjuvant therapy||Phase 3|
- Compare recurrence-free survival and duration of survival in patients with stage III adenocarcinoma of the colon treated with adjuvant high-dose fluorouracil with or without leucovorin calcium versus standard fluorouracil with leucovorin calcium following curative radical resection.
- Compare the safety of these regimens in this patient population.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to regional lymph node involvement (N1 (1-3 pericolic lymph nodes) vs N2 (more than 3 pericolic lymph nodes) and participating center.
Patients are randomized to one of two treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive leucovorin calcium IV followed by fluorouracil IV on days 1-5. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for 6 courses.
- Arm II: Patients receive high-dose fluorouracil IV continuously over 48 hours weekly for 8 weeks. Treatment repeats every 8 weeks for 3 courses.
- Patients receive leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours followed by fluorouracil IV continuously over 24 hours weekly for 6 weeks. Treatment repeats every 7 weeks for 3 courses.
- Patients receive leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours followed by fluorouracil IV bolus and then fluorouracil IV continuously over 22 hours on days 1 and 2. Treatment repeats every 2 weeks for 12 courses.
Patients are followed at 1 month, every 6 months for 4.5 years, and then annually thereafter until death.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: Approximately 1,600 patients (800 per treatment arm) will be accrued for this study within 3 years.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||Pan-European Trials in Adjuvant Colon Cancer (PETACC-2): Randomized Phase III Intergroup Trial of High-Dose Infusional 5-FU (+ or - Folinic Acid) Versus Standard Bolus 5-FU/Folinic Acid|
|Study Start Date :||March 1999|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||April 2007|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00004150
Show 85 Study Locations
|OverallOfficial:||Claus-Henning Koehne, MD||Klinikum Oldenburg|
|OverallOfficial:||G. Leam||Saint Laurentius Ziekenhuis|
|OverallOfficial:||Laurent Bedenne, MD||Hopital Du Bocage|
|Study Chair:||Alfredo Carrato-Mena, MD||Hospital Universitario de Elche|