Geldanamycin Analogue in Treating Patients With Advanced Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00003969|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : June 26, 2013
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die.
PURPOSE: This phase I trial is studying the side effects and best dose of a geldanamycin analogue in treating patients with advanced cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Unspecified Adult Solid Tumor, Protocol Specific||Drug: tanespimycin||Phase 1|
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose for a geldanamycin analogue, 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (AAG), in patients with advanced malignancies.
- Determine the toxic effects and dose-limiting toxicity of AAG in this patient population.
- Determine the safe dose of AAG for a Phase II study.
- Measure the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles of AAG in these patients.
- Assess time to tumor progression and any antitumor activity in patients treated with AAG.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study.
Patients receive a geldanamycin analogue, 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (AAG), IV over 15-30 minutes every week. Treatment continues in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of AAG until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which at least 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
Patients are followed at 4 weeks.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: Approximately 20-40 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Study of 17-Allylamino-17-Demethoxygeldanamycin (17-AAG) (NSC 330507) Via Intravenous Administration in Patients With Advanced Malignancies|
|Study Start Date :||August 1998|
|Study Completion Date :||January 2007|
- Recommended phase II dose of 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (17-AAG) at 4 weeks
- Heat shock protein 90 (HSP90) client protein and co-chaperone changes during first course of treatment
- Pharmacokinetic profile of 17-AAG during the first course of treatment
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00003969
|Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust - London|
|London, England, United Kingdom, SW3 6JJ|
|Study Chair:||Ian R. Judson, MA, MD, FRCP||Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust|