To determine the physiological and immunological responses in healthy HIV seronegative adult volunteers vaccinated with a) the HIVAC-1e (vaccinia-HIV) vaccine expressing the envelope glycoproteins of HIV and b) the Wyeth smallpox vaccine. The parameters to be studied will include:
- The course of physiological responses to vaccination, including (a) lesion development, progression, and resolution; (b) physiological changes such as temperature, malaise, itching at the site, etc. and (c) any observable AE.
- The appearance, identity, quantity, and duration of humoral antibodies against HIV and vaccinia virus.
- The appearance, identity, quantity, and duration of cell-mediated immunity against HIV and vaccinia virus.
- The adequacy of a procedure using a special dressing to contain viral shedding from the vaccination site.
- The safety, humoral and cellular immune responses of a booster injection of the recombinant subunit gp160 vaccine (MicroGeneSys) in HIVAC-1e recipients.