How to Modify a Search
The Search Results page displays a list of studies that fit your search terms. You can modify your search if the search results do not include the studies you are looking for.
There are two ways to modify searches: by using Filters or by using the Advanced Search form.
Use the filters to the left of the Search Results list to narrow or change the list of studies.
- Click on the box next to the filters you'd like to apply.
- Once you have selected all the filters you'd like, click on Apply at the top or bottom of the list of Filters.
If you would like to clear the filters and return to your original list of studies, click on Clear.
You can also switch to Advanced Search by clicking on Advanced Search under the search term box. Using the Advanced Search form, you can:
- Make new selections and/or add terms to narrow a search and get fewer results
- Delete selections and/or terms to broaden a search and get more results
- Change any selections and/or terms to do a related search
Note: If you click on Find a study to participate in on the Search box on the home page, only studies that are currently recruiting participants will appear on the Search Results page. The filter for Recruiting will be checked. To see the complete list of studies (including those that are not yet recruiting or have completed recruiting), click on the check mark and click on Apply to clear that filter.
Search Term Highlighting
The words you type in the Advanced Search form fields will be highlighted in the text of the study record. Search words will be highlighted in pink, and synonyms for search words will be highlighted in yellow. For example, if your search words are heart attack, the words "heart" and "attack" will be highlighted in pink wherever they appear in each record. Synonyms for heart attack, such as myocardial infarction, will be highlighted in yellow.
- How to Use Search Results: Learn how to change the search results display.
- How to Read a Study Record: Learn about the information found in a study record.
- How to Find Results of Studies: Learn about results information available for some studies.