- NLM Board of Regents Public Service Working Group on ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization
- Request for Information (RFI)
- Beta Release Updates
- Stay Informed
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) has launched an effort to modernize ClinicalTrials.gov to deliver an improved user experience on an updated platform that will accommodate growth and enhance efficiency. This page will be updated as information becomes available related to the ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization effort.
- PRS Beta Update: PRS Beta will be released to the PRS Test system in early 2022 with an updated workflow management. A recorded demonstration presented by Heather Dobbins, PhD, Lead Results Analyst and PRS Modernization Product Owner previewing PRS Beta is now available.
- NLM: Report on the ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization Effort, Summary of Progress: 2019-21 (PDF; September 2021): Presents NLM's modernization approach, describes the strategic goals, summarizes the NLM BOR Working Group's input, presents user challenges and feedback, and shares NLM's product development plans and progress.
- NLM Musings from the Mezzanine blog: Progress Towards a Modernized ClinicalTrials.gov (February 10, 2021): Guest post describing the progress to modernize ClinicalTrials.gov.
- NLM Musings from the Mezzanine blog: Celebrating 20 Years of ClinicalTrials.gov and Looking to the Future (January 7, 2020): Guest post describing a new opportunity to engage with us to enrich and modernize ClinicalTrials.gov.
- NLM Musings from the Mezzanine blog: Engaging Users to Support the Modernization of ClinicalTrials.gov: (August 13, 2019): Guest post announcing NLM's modernization effort to make ClinicalTrials.gov an even more valuable resource with a renewed commitment to engage with and serve the people who rely on it.
- User Feedback: If you are interested in providing feedback to inform improvements to the ClinicalTrials.gov website or the Protocol Registration and Results System (PRS, a web-based information submission system for ClinicalTrials.gov), then please sign up.
NLM Board of Regents Public Service Working Group on ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization
- The NLM Board of Regents was established to serve as the advisory body to the Secretary, HHS; Assistant Secretary for Health; Director, NIH; and the Director, NLM, on all important aspects of policy regarding the Library and is the final review body for NLM's extramural grant program. The NLM Board of Regents Public Service Working Group on ClinicalTrials.gov modernization was established September 2019 and relevant meeting materials can be found on the NLM Board of Regents webpage.
- Working Group Member Bios: Descriptions of the members of the Public Service Working Group on ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization. (PDF; October, 2021).
Request for Information (RFI)
- NLM: ClinicalTrials.gov Summary of Responses to the RFI (PDF; April 28, 2020): This report provides a high-level summary of the responses received for each question posed in the RFI. It also describes the main themes of the suggestions for modernizing ClinicalTrials.gov. Note that NLM did not correct any of the comments or address or comment on their contents. These preliminary analyses will be complemented by additional, in-depth, quantitative and qualitative analyses of the feedback received. NLM will use the input from the RFI, as well as from additional stakeholder engagement, user interviews, and the public meeting on April 30, 2020, to inform its roadmap for modernizing ClinicalTrials.gov.
- NLM: Public Comments Received in Response to Request for Information (RFI): ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization (PDF; April 28, 2020): This document consolidates the 268 responses received in response to the RFI without change, including name and affiliation of commenter. The full text of the comments and attachments are listed in the order in which they were received.
- NLM: Request for Information (RFI): ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization (December 30, 2019) accepted comments between December 30, 2019 and March 14, 2020.
Beta Release Updates
- December 8, 2021: The first release of the ClinicalTrials.gov Beta website has launched. It includes a responsive site design that better supports mobile-device users and adds information presented in plain language. This release focuses on basic features, with more features to be added over time, based on user input.
- Webinar: December 10, 2021, from 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. ET: Register via the ClinicalTrials.gov webinar registration page for an update on the modernization effort and a demonstration of the beta ClinicalTrials.gov website. A recording of the webinar and the presentation slides will be made available for those who cannot attend the live event.
- Webinar: ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization Beta Preview (30:29): This webinar provides an update on modernization efforts and information on the anticipated launch of beta ClinicalTrials.gov. Presented by Rebecca Williams, PharmD, MPH, Acting Director, ClinicalTrials.gov, NLM. (October 07, 2021)
- Introduction and Overview Session (55:21)
Summarizes ClinicalTrials.gov and its modernization effort, NLM's activities in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, and introduces members of the Public Service Working Group on ClinicalTrials.gov Modernization of the NLM Board of Regents; Provides an overview of the ClinicalTrials.gov modernization RFI and the most common themes from the 268 responses to the RFI questions. (May 28, 2020)
- Information Submission Panel (50:57)
Summarizes major themes from RFI comments addressing ways to improve information submission using the Protocol Registration and Results System (PRS) (Topic 2 in RFI) and features presentations from three panelists who highlight diverse perspectives on information submission. (May 28, 2020)
- Website Functionality Panel (1:06:07)
Summarizes key trends in RFI responses on the functionality of the ClinicalTrials.gov website (Topic 1 in RFI) and provides case studies from four panelists on different ways in which the ClinicalTrials.gov website can be used. (May 28, 2020)
- Receive updates by email by subscribing to Hot Off the PRS!