BL22 Immunotoxin in Treating Patients Previously Treated With Cladribine for Hairy Cell Leukemia
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00074048|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 11, 2003
Last Update Posted : June 22, 2010
RATIONALE: The BL22 immunotoxin can locate tumor cells and kill them without harming normal cells. This may be an effective treatment for hairy cell leukemia that has not responded to treatment with cladribine.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying BL22 immunotoxin to see how well it works in treating patients previously treated with cladribine for hairy cell leukemia.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Leukemia||Drug: BL22||Phase 2|
- Determine the response rate in patients with cladribine-resistant hairy cell leukemia treated with BL22 immunotoxin.
- Determine the response duration in patients treated with this drug.
- Determine the safety of this drug in these patients.
- Determine the pharmacokinetics of this drug in these patients.
- Correlate BL22 blood levels and toxicity of this drug with the development of neutralizing antibodies in these patients.
OUTLINE: Patients receive BL22 immunotoxin IV over 30 minutes on days 1, 3, and 5 followed by rest.
Patients are then evaluated at 8 weeks. Patients achieving complete hematologic remission are followed. All other patients continue to receive BL22 immunotoxin as above on days 1, 3, and 5. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for up to a total of 16 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients achieving CR without minimal residual disease (MRD) receive 2 courses beyond CR. Patients achieving CR with MRD receive 4 courses beyond CR.
Patients are followed every 4 months for 1 year, every 6 months for 1 year, and then annually thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 36 patients will be accrued for this study within 3 years.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||36 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial Of BL22 Immunotoxin In Hairy Cell Leukemia|
|Study Start Date :||October 2003|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2007|
|Study Completion Date :||July 2008|
Dosing via IV on Days 1,3, and 5.
- Response rate [ Time Frame: After even cycle numbers (2,4,6,8,10) ]
- Duration of Response: [Timeframe: Date that a response begins with the date that PD is documented.] [ Time Frame: 30 days after last dose of study drug ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00074048
|United States, Maryland|
|Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center - NCI Clinical Trials Referral Office|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892-1182|
|Study Chair:||Robert Kreitman, MD||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|