Effects Of Ciclesonide And Beclomethasone On Lens Opacification In Adult Subjects With Moderate To Severe Persistent Asthma
The primary objective is to demonstrate the non-inferiority of ciclesonide compared to beclomethasone-HFA in the occurrence of Class 1 lens event for nuclear (NO), cortical (C), or posterior subcapsular (P) lens opacification within 12 months. Secondary objectives are to compare ciclesonide and beclomethasone with respect to class II and class III best corrected visual acuity and intraocular pressure from baseline to 12 months.
Respiratory Tract Diseases
Drug: ciclesonide (XRP1526)
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Multi-Center, Multinational, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel Group Study of the Effects of Ciclesonide Hfa-Mdi 640 μg/Day and Beclomethasone Hfa-Mdi 640 μg/Day on Lens Opacification in Adult Subjects With Moderate to Severe Persistent Asthma|
- The primary endpoint is the occurrence of a Class I lens event for nuclear (NO), cortical (C), or posterior subcapsular (P) lens opacification within 12 months.
- A Class I lens event is defined as any of the following events in either eye:
- - 1.Increase from baseline in LOCS III grade of ≥ 0.5 (NO), ≥ 0.8 (C), or ≥ 0.5 (P)
- - 2.Cataract surgery
- - 1.Change from baseline to Month 12 in LOCS III grade for (a) nuclear opalescence, (b) cortical opacity, and (c) posterior subcapsular opacity.
- - 2.Occurrence within 12 months in either eye of a Class II lens event: Increase from baseline in LOCS III grade of ≥ 0.9 (NO), ≥ 1.5 (C), or ≥ 0.9 (P), or cataract surgery.
- - 3.Occurrence within 12 months in either eye of a Class III lens event: LOCS III grade ≥ 2.0 for any type of opacity (NO, C, or P) and a change in LOCS III grade of ≥ 0.9 for NO, ≥ 1.5 for C, and ≥ 0.9 for P, or cataract surgery.
- - 4.Change from baseline to Month 12 in best-corrected visual acuity.
- - 5.Change from baseline to Month 12 in intraocular pressure (mm Hg).
- Tertiary endpoint:
- - Change in post-bronchodilator FEV1 from baseline to Month 12.
|Study Start Date:||January 2004|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2005|
|Primary Completion Date:||June 2005 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
This is a multi-center, multinational, active-controlled, double-blind, randomized (1:1) parallel group study of the effects of inhaled ciclesonide HFA-MDI 640 mcg/day and beclomethasone HFA-MDI 640 mcg/day on lens opacification in adult subjects with moderate to severe persistent asthma. The study consists of a 1-14 day screening phase during which subject eligibility will be determined, followed by a 12-month double-blind treatment phase. Lens opacification will be evaluated by slit lamp examination performed after pupillary dilation to at least 6.0 mm before randomization and after 4 months, 8 months, and 12 months of treatment using the LOCS III system for grading lens opacities. Best-corrected visual acuity and intraocular pressure will be measured at each eye examination visit. An Independent Data Monitoring Committee (IDMC) will be constituted to monitor safety throughout the double-blind treatment phase.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00254956
|Chilly-Mazarin, France, 91380|
|Study Director:||ICD CSD||Sanofi|