Effect of Partial Sleep Deprivation on Immunological System in Peripheral Blood
Sleep deprivation was found to affect many organs including the immune system and predisposing for various health consequences including diabetes hypertension infections and increase in neoplastic diseases.
Subjects will be evaluated for immune parameters in peripheral blood test following a regular nigh sleep and compared with a test performed following a night shift in which they slept less than 3 hours.
Each participant will serve as its own control.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case Control
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||Effect of Sleep Deprivation on Expression of T Cell Markers in Peripheral Blood of Medical Residents|
- surface markers of T cell as assessed by FACS [ Time Frame: 6 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- serum cytokine levels [ Time Frame: 6 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- immune parameters to be assessed by western including STAT proteins [ Time Frame: 6 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
|Study Start Date:||September 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||September 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||September 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|surface markers on T cells as assessed by FACS||
Other: Blood withdrawal
Overall Study Design and Plan
- Subjects will be bled on the day of the experiment between 8and 9 AM.
- Blood tubes will be tested for T cell markers, serum cytokines levels, and other immune parameters by western blots.
- The first tube will be tested on the day of experiment.
- The second tube will kept in the lab and will be tested 24 hours later.
- The third tube will be kept in the pocket of the subject and be tested 24 hours later.
- The fourth tube will be kept in the pocket of another subject and will be tested 24 hours later.
- The subject will be tested again following 24 hours.
- Each subject will be tested twice following a regular 6-8 hours of sleep, and following an on call duty in which he slept less than 3 hours.
|Contact: Ayman Abu rmeileh, MD||0584400010 ext email@example.com|
|Contact: Tawfik Khoury, MD||0509870611 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hadassah Medical Organization||Not yet recruiting|
|Jerusalem, Israel, 91120|
|Contact: Ayman Abu Rmeileh, MD 0584400010 ext 00972 email@example.com|
|Contact: Tawfik Khoury, MD 0509870611 ext 00972 firstname.lastname@example.org|