Effects of Octanoic Acid for Treatment of Essential Voice Tremor
Essential voice tremor is a neurological condition that produces a regular, shaking quality in the voice. One form of drug treatment that produces some improvement in tremor of the hands is octanoic acid, which is a food additive that is similar to alcohol. Research suggests that octanoic acid may reduce tremor in the hands/arms with few side effects and no intoxication effects. This study will determine whether octanoic acid may be useful for reducing tremor when it affects the voice. Researchers are hypothesizing that octanoic acid will reduce the effects of tremor on the voice.
Essential Voice Tremor
Essential Tremor of Voice
Drug: Octanoic acid
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Caregiver, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Pre- to post-treatment change in the acoustic characteristics of voice tremor [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Voice recordings will be used to measure the degree of tremor in the voice. Degree of change from pre- to post-treatment will be compared for the octanoic acid and placebo conditions.
- Pre- to post-treatment change in the auditory-perceptual characteristics of voice tremor [ Time Frame: Up to 3 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Listeners will rate the voice from comparisons of recordings before and after each condition. Degree of change from pre- to post-treatment will be compared for the octanoic acid and placebo conditions.
|Study Start Date:||July 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||March 2016|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||March 2016 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Placebo Comparator: Inactive pill
Participants will receive a pill/capsule with an inactive ingredient during the placebo arm of this study.
Experimental: Octanoic acid
Participants will receive a pill/capsule with octanoic acid (amount determined by the participant's weight) during the experimental arm of this study.
Drug: Octanoic acid
Other Name: Caprylic acid
- Essential tremor of the voice produces regular shaking and hoarseness in the voice, making it difficult speech difficult to understand
- Several previous studies have found that octanoic acid and octanol, which are related to alcohol, can improve tremor in some people without producing many side effects and without producing intoxication
- Researchers are interested in determining whether octanoic acid can improve tremor that affects the voice
- To determine the effects of octanoic voice using voice recordings and listener ratings of voice
- To determine the effects of octanoic acid on level of voice disability experienced by people with essential voice tremor
|Contact: Soren Y Lowell, PhDemail@example.com|
|United States, New York|
|Syracuse University & Upstate Medical University||Recruiting|
|Syracuse, New York, United States, 13210|
|Contact: Soren Y Lowell, PhD 315-443-9648 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator:||Soren Y Lowell, PhD||Syracuse University|