Patients' Opinions and Responses to the National Cancer Institute's Colorectal Cancer Risk Assessment Tool (CRC-RAT)
Little is known about the impact of risk assessment tools on decision-making by patients and clinicians. In particular, even though the NCI Colorectal Cancer Risk Assessment Tool is one of the most prominent risk assessment tools available, no study has quantified its usability or impact on decision-making or uptake of screening. In this study, we will measure patients' satisfaction with the NCI CRC RAT, their perception of its usability and helpfulness, and its impact on their decision-making and behavior. In addition, we will assess the impact of adding information about their chance of having an advanced adenoma.
Behavioral: Patient views NCI CRC RAT
Behavioral: View presentation regarding current chance of having an advanced adenoma
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Prevention
|Official Title:||Patients' Opinions and Responses to the National Cancer Institute's Colorectal Cancer Risk Assessment Tool|
- Satisfaction with NCI CRC RAT [ Time Frame: 1 day ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]19 Likert-scale questions regarding usability of and satisfaction with the questions asked by the website to assess individual risk and the information provided
- Perceived risk of developing CRC [ Time Frame: 1 day ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Six Likert-scale questions regarding the subject's perceived risk of developing CRC in next 5 years, 10 years, and lifetime, and compared to others of same age and gender.
- Intent to be screened within six months [ Time Frame: 6 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Three multiple-choice questions regarding intent to be screened in next six months in general or with colonoscopy or stool testing. (Answer options: Definitely, Probably, Probably not, and Definitely not)
- Stage of readiness to screen [ Time Frame: 1 day ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Measure calculated from patient's answers on 5 multiple-choice or Likert-scale questions
- Preferred CRC screening test [ Time Frame: 1 day ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Answer on a single multiple choice question, offering options of colonoscopy, stool test, or other.
- Uptake of CRC screening [ Time Frame: 6 months after intervention ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Phone call follow up and check of medical record.
|Study Start Date:||November 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||September 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||March 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: One arm
View CRC RAT and view presentation regarding risk of advanced adenoma
|Behavioral: Patient views NCI CRC RAT Behavioral: View presentation regarding current chance of having an advanced adenoma|
|United States, Indiana|
|Indiana University Health|
|Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 46202|
|Principal Investigator:||Peter H. Schwartz, MD, PhD||IU School of Medicine|