China Action on Spine and Hip Status (CASH)
- To determine the prevalences of osteoporotic fracture in elderly Chinese population.
- To determine the prevalences of osteoporosis in elderly Chinese population using QCT BMD measurement.
- To investigate the difference in the prevalences of osteoporosis between cities and urban-rural area in China.
- To compare the performance of QCT and DXA measured BMD in the diagnosis of osteoporosis.
- To investigate the association of body composition with osteoporosis
Bone Mineral Density Quantitative
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||Multi Center Survey on Spine and Hip Status in Chinese Population Using Quantitative Computed Tomography (QCT)|
- Osteoporotic fractures [ Time Frame: 3 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The spine osteoporotic fractures assessed on the lateral spine image of QCT exam
- Bone mineral density (BMD) of spine and hip [ Time Frame: 3 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]BMD measurement at the spine and hip by QCT and/or DXA
- Body composition assessment [ Time Frame: 3 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Fat and muscle mass measurement and distribution assessed by QCT at the abdomen and hip
- Osteoarthritis of spine and hip [ Time Frame: 3 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]OA assessment at spine and hip by CT images
|Study Start Date:||October 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||June 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis (OA) both are very common in elderly population,it is particular important for China with a huge aging population in the coming years.Bone mineral density measured by quantitative computed tomography (QCT) or dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) is the surrogate for bone health status and diagnosis of osteoporosis and OA. In this study we utilize the large-scale population based epidemiology study (PURE) population,spine and hip QCT and/or DXA will be obtained for the subject to investigate the prevalence of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in elderly Chinese population. We also study the relation between bone mineral density with osteoporotic fracture and OA More than 3000 subjects selected from the PURE study participants in Beijing and other centers in China will be recruited to this study. More precisely, the subjects are consisted of the females over 55 years and males over 60 years old, along with the 20% randomly selected PURE participants for blood sampling.
Beijing ji shui tan hospital will be the coordinate center for the whole study, Beijing shi jing shan hospital, Beijing shun yi traditional medicine hospital and Taiyuan central hospital of shanxi will participate, other centers may be added late.
Bone mineral density of spine and hip will be measured with QCT and/or DXA. Quantitative computed tomography QCT pro (Mindways software, inc. USA) will be used for all QCT measurement, the CT scanner will be the clinical CT scanner of the local participated center.
Quality control and monitoring will be conducted by Beijing ji shui tan hospital, as well as the centralised image interpretation.
Therefore, this study is designed to provide the current and reliable prevalence of osteoporotic fracture, osteoporosis, OA in elderly Chinese population using QCT and/or DXA. The performance of QCT and DXA in the diagnosis of osteoporosis , as well as the association of body composition with osteoporosis will be assessed.
|Contact: xiaoguang Cheng, MDemail@example.com|
|Contact: yongbin su, MD||0086-010-58516688 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Beijing ji shui tan hospitla||Recruiting|
|Beijing, Beijing, China, 100035|
|Contact: xiaoguang cheng, MD 0086-010-58516695 email@example.com|
|Contact: yongbin su, MD 0086-010-58516688 ext 6196 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sub-Investigator: ling wang, MD|
|Sub-Investigator: yimin ma, MD|
|Principal Investigator:||xiaoguang cheng, MD||Beijing ji shui tan hospital|