Inclusion of Elderly Patients With Colorectal Cancer in Clinical Trials (SAGE)
Background: Inadequate representation of elderly cancer patients in randomized clinical trials (RCTs) leading to a lack of external validity thereby an uncertainty regarding benefit-risk balance of cancer treatment in elderly, especially chemotherapy.
Hypothesis: The eligibility criteria explain only a part of the under-representation of elderly patients in trials. We make the assumptions that 1) Among the eligible, the invitation to participate in a trial and inclusion are inversely related to age, 2) Among the eligible, there are patients, practitioner, or organization factors that would explain the non inclusion of elderly patients.
To assess, in elderly patients with colorectal cancer, the proportions of patients:
- eligible at least to one RCT
- invited to participate
- To identify factors associated with the non-invitation and the non-inclusion in RCT.
Material and methods:
Study design: A multicentric prospective cohort survey Population: all patients aged 65 years or more with a colorectal cancer followed in one of the participating centers.
- At baseline: Patient characteristics (including SOCIO-demographic, oncologic and geriatric data) will be collected. Organization factors (e.g. clinical research team) will be collected.
- Follow-up: the patient will be followed for potential invitation and inclusion in one RCT. Reasons of non-invitation or non-inclusion will be assessed.
Number of subjects needed: 751 Number of centers : 6
Ethical aspects: each patient will give his oral informed consent. The International Review Board of Mondor Hospital (CPP Ile-de-France IX) gave its approval in December 2012.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||Elderly Patients With Colorectal Cancer in Clinical Trials: Factors Associated With Non Inclusion|
- Inclusion in at least one Randomized controlled Trial [ Time Frame: Two years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Eligibility to participate in in at least one Randomized controlled Trial [ Time Frame: Two years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Invitation to participate in in at least one Randomized controlled Trial [ Time Frame: Two years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||January 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||November 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||May 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
65 years old or older, with colorectal cancer
|Other: No intervention|
|Contact: Florence Canoui-Poitrine, MD, PhD||(0) 126.96.36.199.95 ext +33||florence.canouïemail@example.com|
|Contact: Laetitia Gregoire||(0)1 49 81 41 64 ext +firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Henri Mondor Hospital||Recruiting|
|Creteil, Val de Marne, France, 94010|
|Contact: Florence Canoui-poitrine, MD, PhD (0) 188.8.131.52.95 ext +33 florence.canouïemail@example.com|
|Contact: Laetitia Gregoire (0)1 49 81 41 64 ext +33 firstname.lastname@example.org|