Efficacy Study of Ifabond in Breast Cancer Surgery
A randomized prospective simple-blind interventional study evaluating the efficacy of the synthetic adhesive solution "Ifabond", in patients undergoing breast cancer surgery. The main objective of this study is to determine if the application of Ifabond, in addition to the conventional method of breast surgery, reduces the postoperative seroma formation. The secondary objective is to assess quality of life immediately after surgery, and the need for needle aspiration of the axilla, when using Ifabond.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single Blind (Subject)
Primary Purpose: Supportive Care
|Official Title:||A Randomized Study Evaluating the Efficacy of the Synthetic Adhesive Solution Ifabond, in Reducing Seroma Formation Post Surgery in Breast Cancer Patients, When Used in Partial Mastectomy With or Without Axillary Lymph Node Dissection|
- Change in seroma formation [ Time Frame: Day 3 (or 7 in case of axillary lymph node dissection), day15 and day 30 post surgery ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The volume of drain at Day 3 (or 7 in case of axillary lymph node dissection) post surgery will be documented, then patients will have an ultrasound exam at day 15 and day 30 (+or- 2 days) to measure seroma.
- Change in discomfort alleged by the patient [ Time Frame: day 3 (or 7), day 15 and day 30 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Patients will be asked if they feel any discomfort in relation to seroma formation at Day 3 (or 7 in case of axillary lymph node dissection),day15 and day 30 (-or- 2 days) post surgery.
- Change in the number of needle aspiration required [ Time Frame: day 15 and day 30 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The number of needle aspiration required at day 15 and day30 (-or- 2 days) post surgery will be documented.
|Study Start Date:||November 2011|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||January 2015|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Arm A: Applying Ifabond
The synthetic adhesive solution Ifabond, will be applied at the end of conventional breast cancer surgery for arm A patients.
Device: IFABOND (TM)
The synthetic adhesive solution Ifabond, will be applied at the end of conventional breast cancer surgery for arm A patients
Other Name: An authorized device with CE labeling.
No Intervention: Arm B: without Ifabond
The synthetic adhesive solution Ifabond, will not be applied at the end of conventional breast cancer surgery in arm B patients.
Breast cancer patients will be selected at their preoperative visit with the surgeon, who will inform them about the study and answer their questions.
Patients who consent to participate will be randomized to one of two arms:
- Arm A: Applying Ifabond
- Arm B: Without Ifabond
Patients will be stratified according to these two criteria:
- Axillary Lymph Node Dissection planned (ALND)
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
The following parameters will be measured:
- ECOG status and Blood Pressure at day 3(day 7 in case of ALND), day 15 and day 30 post surgery
- Volume of drainage at day 3 and at (day 7 in case of ALND)post surgery
- Discomfort alleged by the patient at day 3(day 7 in case of ALND), day 15 and day 30 post surgery
- Lymphocele volume measured by ultrasound at day 15 and day 30 post surgery
- If the volume is ≥ 100cc, a needle aspiration will be performed, and the volume of aspirate will be documented.
- Adverse events and concomitant medications will be collected throughout the study until 30 days after the last ultrasound.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01742975
|Contact: Wahiba BIDAUT, senior CRA||(33)4-91-83-38-38 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Penda SOW, CRA||(33)4-91-83-38-38 ext email@example.com|
|Hôpital Ambroise Paré||Recruiting|
|Marseille, Paca, France, 13006|
|Contact: Wahiba BIDAUT, senior CRA (33)4-91-83-38-38 ext 3155 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Penda SOW, CRA (33)4-91-83-38-38 ext 3105 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator: Michel CONTE, MD|
|Sub-Investigator: Bernard BLANC, MD/prof|
|Sub-Investigator: Didier MATHIEU, MD/prof|
|Sub-Investigator: Jean QUILICHINI, MD|
|Centre de Chirurgie Gynecologique Et Des Maladies Du Sein||Not yet recruiting|
|Grenoble, Rhône-Alpes, France, 38000|
|Contact: Raoul PAYAN, MD 04-76-42-98-01 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator: Raoul PAYAN, MD|
|Principal Investigator:||Michel CONTE, MD||Hôpital Ambroise Paré, Marseille|